What's new

2way diff vs helical

S

stevek

looking into gettin one of these in the new year...but what i really want to know...is there any point in doing this? i have the standard helical atm but wouldnt mind doing drift days etc next yr. Will i need a proper diff?

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Helical is great for street but for motorsport use it doesn't compare to a clutch-type LSD. I'd say to give it a few goes with the helical for fun and start saving up for when you're ready then go ahead and upgrade it

Reaction score
As Wing said,if you want to drift then a 2 way is the best way to go. If you only want to do circuit work then a 1.5 way is a better bet

C

cougar power motorsport

i would bet on the KAAZ LSD's either 2 way either 1.5 way as said above. These are great priced and can do the job more than well done. I have some in stock lol

Reaction score
I have Kaaz 2 way in my S15 spec r. the helical is good for fast road and keeps the car straighter in the wet lol but apart from that the 2 way is far superior.

The Kaaz is best for drift and actually locks and wont openwheel like a gashy helical.. but as i said helical is good for fast driving whilst being more forgiving to sudden input unlike the 2 way.

but the 2 way is much better once you you know how to drive with one. takes a few miles but you will ge the hang of it. and drifting is 100 % more predictable and reliable. as i have had a instance where my helical starting open wheeling at the kidney pen at DWYB and it sent me through the fence lol.. not much damage from this though lukily.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
I found that with my helical it was quite unpredictable when changing directions when drifting it would suddenly get traction then would just snap back =/ think I will be going for a Kazz or Nismo 2 way imo

C

cougar power motorsport

yeap just right as you are saying guys. On our drift s13 we are preparing now already have the KAAZ 2 way here waiting to be installed :D lol

S

stevek

hmmm ive not drifted too much with the car yet but deffo think ill get myself a 2 way!! may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb as they say! do all after market diffs make the clicking and juddering when going around tight areas? as far as i know my diff is standard... how could i be sure though before spending cash on another one? from my dyno day i know the fd was 3.6 it think?? standard?

Reaction score
LSD does make clunks when diff is hot after driving but you can get friction modifier additive to quieten it down. This is just mixed with the diff oil.. Tbh though you get used to the clunk and the people looking at you like ur cars broke.

The quieter type would be nismo but there quite a bit more expensive than kaaz. The way to check if you have a mechanical diff and not a helical is to jack up the back end and turn one wheel if the other side moves the same way it's a mechanical uprated item. Helical won't spin the other wheel atall as the only work when torque is applied..

S

stevek

LSD does make clunks when diff is hot after driving but you can get friction modifier additive to quieten it down. This is just mixed with the diff oil.. Tbh though you get used to the clunk and the people looking at you like ur cars broke.

The quieter type would be nismo but there quite a bit more expensive than kaaz. The way to check if you have a mechanical diff and not a helical is to jack up the back end and turn one wheel if the other side moves the same way it's a mechanical uprated item. Helical won't spin the other wheel atall as the only work when torque is applied..
sweet! ill get on to this tomorrow!! any joy it'd be uprated but knowing my luck it wont be!haha 3.6 fd is standard though yeah? anyone running 4.1 or higher? much of an improvement?

Reaction score
Country
4.1 better acceleration. loose top speed. over much better for difting. it does drink more fuel as the car is constantly running at higher revs.

GTuned

Reaction score
Country
Slightly altering the topic.. but is the Quaife ATB better than the helical diff?

I ask because I have a spare brand new one sitting here for an ex-Skyline project, and it ended up never getting used..

The set up will be for street use on the Spec-R.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Quaife uses torsion ie same system just like stock helical. But I'm sure it will be better than stock.. Not good if ur into drifting though but smooth on the road as you quote you will be using it for.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
As he said, but if it's sitting on the floor then you might as well sell it and put the money towards a clutch-type :D

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
With the helical and the rear jacked up, does the non-turned wheel not spin the opposite direction?

If and when i change mine, i fancy a Nismo TT Pro, meant to minimise any clucks/noise.

GTuned

Reaction score
Country
Quaife uses torsion ie same system just like stock helical. But I'm sure it will be better than stock.. Not good if ur into drifting though but smooth on the road as you quote you will be using it for.
Cool, that's what I assumed, thanks!

Reaction score
Country
With the helical and the rear jacked up, does the non-turned wheel not spin the opposite direction?

If and when i change mine, i fancy a Nismo TT Pro, meant to minimise any clucks/noise.
Not sure if this is what you are getting at but the Helical will react just like a open when you jack the arse up and do the one wheel turn test, only difference is turn the drive shaft and get a mate to hold both wheels still and it will try to turn them both, hold one and it will just turn the free one like a open.

Just for a laugh i tried some drifting with my helical, was all good mid drift but when coming out of the slide, backing off the gas and she grabs the road and tries to swap ends on ya before you know it. I have seen some very skilled drivers do it, though really awkward.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
I think the TT is discontinued and replace with a carbon one :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I was planning on a ATS carbon since I've used a few of their carbon clutches, but might give the nismo carbon a go instead... I love carbon!! (the non rice stuff)