What's new

What filter to run? plugs? and z32 afm????

Reaction score
Hi guys, im quite new to the nissan tuning side of everything and need a few pointers if possible.

I keep reading guys go on about a z32 afm? i assume thats the air flow meter, but whats the pros and cons of fitting one of these? Will i still be able to get it remappd running one of these?

Also i want to ditch my filter, its a greddy green mushroom job at the mo but want to get a new one as it looks a little old? Any suggestions? could i ditch the original black wales penis that its connected to?

And what plugs should i run? I have the following fitted,

Walbro fuel pump
3 inch straight through exhaust
Turbo Elbow
FMIC
Injectors (apparentely)
Boost controller (set at 0.5 bar)
Filter
De cat

I think thats it although the auction sheet says something like cams but again im very unsure if thats true now too.

Id like to replace all the parts pretty soon so any help would be appreciated.

Also can any gains be made from buying the japspeed manifolds? Or has evry single one theyve sold cracked?

Thanks guys

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'll just answer what i personally think mate, but its all generally recognised stuff anyway ;)
- you dont really need a manifold on the standard turbo as it wont make enough power to see real benefit, but if you do go for one i'd reccommend the h-dev as mine hasnt cracked for the 2 years i've had it
- the apexi power intake filter is a great bit of kit, widely used and cheap
- a stainless hard intake pipe can be bought from apex performance
- a z32 afm is not essential at up to 1.2bar on the standard turbo, if you intend to go further then it will be needed as the standard one is pretty restrictive and wont flow enough air. this would have to be fitted in conjunction with a remap or the car wouldn't run properly
- at that spec you should go for a grade 7 plug be it iridium or copper (i now prefer copper despite what a lot of people say) and gap them up in accordance with your spec (normally 0.7mm is a good starting point i have found, then if required, i've opened it up a little)

hope this helps :)

-

Reaction score
thanks for the help guys, and craig thats a great little write up, i think il go for stage 2a as that seems the one im closest too at the mo.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Some usefull info there guys,has helped me a lot too as I these are next things on my list too,been looking at the apexi intake myself looks like a good buy as u can remove the adaptor plate and use the filter on the z32 if you decide to upgrade in the future too! Is it worth changing your injectors before you hit 280 bhp just to make sure they don't max out?with a view to mods in the future,and also any idea how much a set would cost....and also what's the benefit of using a fuel rail?

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Stage 2a is the best 'bang per buck' stage to get to. Anything after that needs a lot more money and you are starting to push the gearbox. You don;t need the tubular manifold at 2a. I just added that as it'd be a shame not to change it while your doing the turbo elbow.

My injectors reached 90% at 318bhp on a RR I had done at Weston Performance last year but others seem to mak a little earlier. Not sure why though. I always use that Redex fuel system cleaner as I get it free, but not sure if thats what really makes the difference..

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I was watchin my duty cycle when I was out the other day and it reached 88 percent so was just thinking may be worth me getting some 555's just as a safety precaution to know they are running with in a comfortable limit but then if they handle that without damaging anything I may just leave them for now as there are a lot of other things I actually need to do first.
Is it safe to run em at that sort of level ?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
just one i noticed that you should do mate, is change the turbo lines for braided and whack in a set of genuine gaskets while you are there. its very common for people that go to stage 2 and further for the gaskets and lines to pack in soon after ;)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Cheers for that,I have done the gasket when I fitted the tomei elbow,will defo look into doing the lines,should probably have done them at the same time ! Lol oh well can do them when I fit my manifold....any other little things worth doing when in and around that area!? Other than finding the money for a 2871r lol!!!!

Jay

Reaction score
with regard to duty cycles.... 88% is absolutly fine and safe to run. i run 95% @ 1bar with no problems. i was informed by my mapper that injectors are best run at high duty (ie a 480 injector at 90% is better for the car than say a 740 @ 60%.) the reason for this as i understand it is that higher duty creates greater pressure with the result that fuel is atomised better, and burnt cleaner. basicly it makes the whole system more efficient.

Jay

Reaction score
the standard injectors and afm tend to max out at around the same point. this will vary from car to car of course. 290-310bhp seems to be the limit as i understand it. beyond that they both need to be upgraded. its worth noting though that a further remap will be needed on replacing either.