What's new

Squeaky pullys?

Reaction score
Country
Has anyone else had this with the standard pulleys and belts?

When accelerating there seems to be a squeaking noise coming from the engine bay, deffinitly sounds like the pulleys? Just wondering if it could be anything else?

If it it the pulleys then fitting a Japspeed lightweight pulley set and new belts should cure it yes?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
have you checked to see if your belt is loose mate? in the cold mine started sqeeling when i was revving the car ,had the belts tigtened and has almost totally gone now.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The lightweight pulleys are more trouble than they are worth IMO. Just throw a new set of belts on it and you should be fine. WD40 would be a short-term fix but could be used to eliminate them one by one.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Why do you say the lightweight pulleys are more trouble? I only ask as I was gonna change mine for lightweight pulleys when I have the rad off to change it?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If you change the 3 pulleys for alloy ones then the bottom pulley looks out of place IMO, unless you change that too but it has that harmonic thing in it that the aftermarket ones don't have. Some kits have a pulley (PAS IIRC) that is too wide for the belt so it looks like the belt is not fitted correctly. And I remember people having trouble fitting one of the pulleys - Dean may be able to expand on that as I think it was him who had the problem..?

I would spend my £60+ on something else as I don't see the advantage of them apart from them being blue, but that's just my opinion :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
The pulleys are not the easiest things to fit IMO - would be easier with engine out but I like them as I'm a sucker for anodised blue bling haha :p

Jay - if you need a hand lemme know as I can show you how to tighten each of the pulleys: PAS, alternator & water pump... done this enought times recently!! :wack:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Cheers mate! :thumbs:

Think ill be okay tbh just depends if I can get to them as its got the standard fan set up etc..

Is it just a case of whack a socket and spanner on each side and tighten or are the JDM cars different?

Ill proberly go for new belts when I get round to doing a full service but atm I think ill just check to see if theyre tight!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
craigs right, i'm not sure if s14/a pulleys are different from the s15's but i'm pretty sure they aren't. you really dont want your power steering belt spat off the pulley at 120mph like i did - brown pants moment which could of been avoided.....standard pulley back on and its been fine for 2 years or so :) if the belts look like they havent been changed for a long time then i'd just stick a new set on, gates belts are about 15 quid for all 3 from a local factors, old belts can get a smooth surface or cracks on the ribs over time and not grip the pulleys as well so squeak - adding a little tension can help but more tension will kill the bearings in tensioners quicker ;)

Jay

Reaction score
i have the lightweight pulleys and the power steering one squeeks. the belt is correct tension and new. only thing that fixes it on a temporary basis is wd40. bugs the ****e outa me....

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
In which case I think I will just be changing the belts and giving the pulleys a decent clean up thanks for the info!

Jay

Reaction score
thats a good idea. im thinking bout putting the oem ones back on. the squeak makes my car sound proper sick (in the bad way, not the chavvy good way!!)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Do the 'twist' test to see if they're tight or even too tight which isn't healthy either!

You tighten the belts by loosening a pivot bolt for ALT & WATER. Then you have to loosen the slidy bracket nut/bolt thingy for each (check out my mechanical terminology haha!!) and then there's a tensioning bolt you use to get it to tighten/loosen etc.

The aircon has it's own tensioning device fitted which makes life a lot easier :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
the trouble with those 5 rib pas pulleys if you end up with one, is not the tension or the fact theres an extra rib, its the fact that when fitted they aren't perfectly in line with the other pulley so the belt has run out.....