What's new

Clutch Reccomendations!

D

Derek

My clutch decided to go to clutch heaven tonight on me :cry: . I know i d'ont want a paddle one cos there a balls to drive with. So its an Organic i'm after. Single plate i presume. Something that'll handle 300-350bhp.

Are the S14 and S15 same? I presume they'd be different cos of the whole 6 speed and 5 speed thing?

Anyone Reccomend me one?

D

dns15

s15's 6 speed clutch cost close to twice the price of 5 speeds ...... damn ....

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've get an Exedy waiting to be fitted on my new gearbox. You'll probably want to get a new flywheel too...

D

dns15

the 6 speed dual mass flywheel jus wears out too...
stupid design

D

Derek

The S14 and S15 are different right?

@ Nicely what make Exeddy have you?

Clutch and Fly -- i'm looking at big money so!! :mad: :mad:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If you're getting a new clutch, you would be mad not to take the opportunity to get a lightweight replacement flywheel while you're down there...

Never really been sure about which clutch it is. Got it unfitted off Greg (SXOC). Looking at the part numbers now, it looks like its a S 'type'. There's no indication on Exedy's web site as to the recommended maximum torque...

Topper: :nod: ;) :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Sorry to disappoint. Its a sub-15k mile S15 6MT. I'm going to split it open and sort the 3rd/4th counter gear circlip weakness, then slap the clutch and a Cusco or JUN lightweight flywheel on it and fit it :)

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
where do u have all this money and find all these good things nicely..... :notworthy:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The 6MT was ?450 on SXOC a couple of weeks ago. As I've got a dodgy reverse, I thought I may as well prepare for its death and take the opportunity to strengthen the box.

D

Derek

Update, I've been onto to everywhere in Ireland and England. No1 has a s15 clutch in stock. Out of everyone i was onto diftworks was the only one to seem to know what they were on about.

I was gonna get a Organic but i'm being told now that if i'm getting one i'd be better off gettin a Exedy paddle that it will see out cars lifetime. Oh and Flywheel will be done Fidizana probally.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I wouldn't get a Fidenza flywheel personally. I'm suspicious why all the Jap lightweight flywheels are made from chrome-molybdenum steel and not aluminium, like the Fidenza.

Why not try Perfectrun or Greenline? Perfectrun do Cusco clutches and plates for ?250 and Cusco flywheels for ?175. Or a full Nismo set for ?380 (all plus delivery... If you tell them you need it urgently, they'll get it to you quicker.

If you're really desperate, I'm willing to sell you my Exedy...

Reaction score
my 2 cents...

all the bad press the S15 6spd gets tends to come from guys who've fitted aftermarket clutches and flywheels. Given the box is not that strong, it may pay not to let it be the weakest link. Better to slip a clutch than break a box eh. Still, if you have big power and deep pockets - it's gotta be upgraded sometime... just bear in mind you may be quoting a new shifter soon :nod:

or

fit a S14 box and beefy clutch - it may end up costing you less. Too much hassle for me though.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
As has been stated previously, the S15 box is of better construction and strength than the S14 box, EXCEPT for one weakness which causes all the problems. That is the 3rd/4th counter gear circlip. Relocating the circlip into a tighter groove will completely remove this weakness.

The greater worry with heavy paddle clutches is that they put increased pressure on the release bearing. This can lead to there being very slight play, which in turn casues very small play in the crankshaft, which in turn casues the thrust bearings to wear, which in turn causes more play in the crankshaft. Play in the crankshaft, as you can imagine, is not a good thing and can lead to very serious damage. I know someone who has had exactly this happen...

D

Derek

By the looks of things Everywhere in Ireland and England will have to Order from japan. So i may aswell do that might self and save some money. I would have thought some warehouse would have a s15 clutch in stock. Looks like i'm waiting two weeks minimum anyway... :cry: