Clutch Reccomendations!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You can pretty well guarantee that on S15 specific parts, I'm afraid. I would be inclined to get a specific S15 clutch and flywheel sent over urgently, rather than farting about with S14 clutches.

Just give these people a try. They supplied my Exedy clutch to Greg when he got it.

Special Vehicle Services Ltd
+44 870 2406857

Oh, and you can be abso-damn-lutely positive that Apex will never have S15 specific parts in. I don't even bother asking...

M

MIHIR AMIN

ive got an organic exedy clutch you can order it from abbey motorsport they deal with skylines mainly but they got my clutch to me in 2 days if youre in a rush. The organic exedy clutch is nice but still very hard compared to the old stock cluch. ps Nicely i had a dodgy reverse on my old gearbox might be a common problem.

D

Derek

Cheers lads,

Yeah Monday i'm just gonna get a New S15 clutch and Fly from japan.

Reaction score
Nicely said:
As has been stated previously, the S15 box is of better construction and strength than the S14 box, EXCEPT for one weakness which causes all the problems. That is the 3rd/4th counter gear circlip. Relocating the circlip into a tighter groove will completely remove this weakness.

The greater worry with heavy paddle clutches is that they put increased pressure on the release bearing. This can lead to there being very slight play, which in turn casues very small play in the crankshaft, which in turn casues the thrust bearings to wear, which in turn causes more play in the crankshaft. Play in the crankshaft, as you can imagine, is not a good thing and can lead to very serious damage. I know someone who has had exactly this happen...
good to know the box is "fixable". When my clutch goes, I'll probably opt for something tame.

Reaction score
I just got a Exedy Hyper single and Flywheel... Hyeline.com have a few in stock and can get them quite quickly... but they are extremely pricey...

I got my clucth flywheel, nismo braided clutch line, nismo clutch pivot and a new hyper rev delivered for about ?300 cheaper than than any uk company quoted me for just getting the clutch and flywheel...

While were on the subjuct of clutches...

a) Nicely- what is involved in this 3rd/4th gear counter gear circlip mod??? easy to do? any pics? or one of your how tos? :D
b) HOW THE HELL DO I CHANGE A CLUTCH... any step by step guide any where or someone want to give me some pointers... (Without the obvious 'Take it to Mr Clucth!' comments)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I want the answers to these questions too :nod:

I have a dodgy reverse.... sometimes :rolleyes: thats the last thing i need

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've not done the 3rd/4th counter gear thing yet. Basically a new tighter groove has to be machined into it and a replacement circlip found.

Take it to a clutch bloke. Seriously. Its a three hour listed job. For a proffessional. With a ramp and the right tools...

The dodgy reverse is common apparently. Try engaging 3rd first, then reverse.

D

Derek

I still haven't mine fitted. I is arriving tomorrow tho about two F**king weeks late. I was thinking about doing it myself but for the time etc i would give it it wouldn't be worth doing. I wouldn't have tools etc.. Bolts would have to be tightened to right torque settings etc..

M

MIHIR AMIN

its not along job to fit the clutch, i had my old box out new clutch in and new box in all in about 2 hours, i had slight difficulty putting the box back its a tight transmission tunnel. no fitting guide sorry wish i had taken some pics at that time. ps it didnt take me long as i had 3 other mechanics helping me and it was up on a ramp. :)