What's new

ABS vs "Stamping the Pedal"

Reaction score
Country
Seems like its 'brake week' lol

When heavy braking, and the abs kicking in, I always panic (i dislike the juddering feel of abs a lot) so release the brake and start stamping, which seems much more effective.

But is it all in my head, or is ABS actually better than stamping your pedal fast and hard? I just hate that 'juddery, i'm not stopping yet' feel of the ABS!

Cheers

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
ABS does work! The only reason why I wanted to disconnect the fuse and not have it is on drift days where as soon as you spin out and start going backwards the ABS on Silvia can't cope and goes crazy (ABS kicking in when it doesn't need to) :wack:

For daily driving I much prefer ABS... yes it stops the car less quickly when it kicks in but that's the point... your tyres have lost traction so you instead of skidding you are still able to steer. And it has actually helped me immensely on a wet track day preventing me from skidding and going BANG into tyre wall :thumbs:

I had to jam real hard when a pheasant ran out on the road the other day I know I shouldn't have swerved but gut instinct when there were no cars coming the other way was 'I don't wanna clean of dead pheasant this weekend off the front bumper' so I hit the brakes hard and the road was slightly wet... full on ABS kicked in (this is on my missus' BMW 525) and I was able to steer around the stupid bird and he/she just escaped certain death lol :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I don't wanna clean of dead pheasant this weekend off the front bumper
You wouldnt be cleaning it off the bumper, you'd be pulling it out of the radiator!! lol no joke either, we've hit a few in my dads car and they just go straight through your grille. its like hitting a brick lol. fat birds

C

Calimero

ABS is really an improvement ! I saw it comparison to a non ABS car ( 2 VW Golf ) the older one not having ABS (yet not stamping) really missed it :p the driver was told to release the brake for steering, which worked quite fine after some practice but even if u mastered stamping at the end its like ABS > you i believe.

EDIT: Just found the ABS switch threat :p

Last edited: