What's new

Bushes - solid v poly

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I can't decide what setup to go for with the diff/subframe bushes. Was originally planning to go solid in the diff and subframe but had a re-think and decided to go for solid diff and poly subframe, but still not 100% sure :rolleyes:

What combinations are you guys running and what do you think of it?

:)

Reaction score
Country
i have a friend who recently made the change earlier in the year to full on solid and he said he noticed that the handling and response of his car had improved. The only complaint was that the car is REALLY stiff which makes it not fun to daily if the roads suck in your area, and it's rather loud.

He would do it again though if he had the chance...

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i doubt mine will be back on the road in good enough time to tell you in advance mate - but the reason i went for both poly is because it will be the most forgiving way of doing it :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Ah, its too hard to decide. I don't mind about the noise at all, just want the car to perform as good as it can. But if I go for solid everything then there is literally no movement at all, and maybe there should be a bit..? The other thing that put me off poly is the questionable quality of the DW bushes..

Reaction score
Country
i will set up these collars in subframe. people, who already do this, were satisfied.

PS with these collars you DON'T need remove subframe

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I already have a set of those fitted - locking collars. They do a good job and hold the subframe virtually solid but as I'm going to remove the subframe anyway, I may aswell change the bushes entirely.

Reaction score
It will really depend on how youre using your ride there mate, if its roads, in which case its mostly B roads and the occasional highway run...then polybushes are the way to go. Have a rethink about the NVH though..i know many who said 'they dont mind it' at first only to complain in a short period that its just killing em. Its just no fun having all the vibrations transferred into the cabin. The other alternative is hard rubber bushing which seems to be the best compromise. I have felt both and while the rubber seems to provide more give, there is little or no loss in performance. At the end of the day, your teeth dun chatter, cd's dun skip and you dun feel crashy all around.

However if its strictly competition or track, then solid mounts will do the job. About the quality, get your PU from reputable names and they'll be fine.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the input here.

Going by what has been said, I think I'll probably stick with the solid diff bushes but use poly subframe bushes. This way I should had the diff mounted well and dampen out most of the NVH with the subframe poly bushes.

:)

Reaction score
Craig i've bought solid diff bushes and poly submounts. Apparently with the solid diff mounts you can hear the diff wine but i don't care about that. decided to go poly with the subframe because i just can't deal with the car being any siffer than it already is for a road car.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Craig i've bought solid diff bushes and poly submounts. Apparently with the solid diff mounts you can hear the diff wine but i don't care about that. decided to go poly with the subframe because i just can't deal with the car being any siffer than it already is for a road car.
Yeah, sounds like a good option. As mentioned above, I have locking collars fitted at the moment and the extra noise from them doesnt bother me, so if I have solid diff and poly subframe I guess it should be roughly the same..?! We'll soon see anyway! :)

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I went with Nismo rubber bushes & will do the same again with my next S15 :nod:

I played around with the idea of solid -v- poly -v- uprated rubber for ages and in the end I didn't see the point in going with anything other than the Nismo ones.... For me I used the car as a daily & for trackdays both of which required a bit of give as not even mondello is completely smooth all of the time :rolleyes:

The increase in grip levels was incredible both on the road & on track but I also fitted Whiteline ARB & DW CS2's at the same time so it wasn't all the bushes ;)

Reaction score
I've gone poly in the subframe and for track performance they are great compaired to the stock. I have been in a car with solid bushes and it does transmit every little noise which makes it feel harsh

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hmm, intersting. I've thought about it a lot and have convinced myself that the noise shouldnt really be any worse then it is now because I currently have locking collars fitted which basically clamp the subframe to the chassis anyway, making them as good as solid. So when I poly the subframe and solid bush the diff the noise shouldnt't be any worse, maybe even a bit better as everthing will have a bush between it and the chassis..? The amount of noise I have now is not an issue in the slightest as TBH 95% of the time I wouldn't even know the collars were fitted.