What's new

Need advice on a top mount setup

D

dss15

Hi guys,

Top mount setups are something I know nothing about.
Can someone itemize for me what I'd have to do to my S15 in the way of manifolds, dump pipes, that sort of thing? how does it work? Intercooler piping?

What about the ABS unit, will that survive?

My car's been in peices for a while now and I'm going to install a cheap kit & run @ low boost.
http://www.xs-power.com/nissan-turbokits-6.htm
-- This kit. Gotta get the thing started up again..

What else will I need?

Have uprated fuel pump.

Thanks for any/all advice!

C

carpo

ive a complete blitz top mount kit here off a sr20 s15 is complete 1600.00 euro if interested

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i wouldnt touch the xs power turbos if i were you, not good.....

D

dss15

Yeahp.. you're right, after some more research, no. not even at low boost.
I'm going to go with a standard mount xaviar from japan. Reasonable reviews, reasonable price. I don't believe in paying top dollar unless you're doing top dollar racing, but I also can't justify blowing it all out the exhaust either.. ;)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
if you want decent power why not go for the .86 housing 2871r, its a little more laggy than the 0.64 but will make 400 no problem with the right supporting mods......by the way both these turbos can be low mounted without any negative effects over topmount, so topmounting would purely be for looks - and i admit they do look good :)

Reaction score
Carpo: what turbo is with that K27? is that with a stainless tube manifold or cast manifold?

When it comes to topmount turbo you need:

topmount manifold,
Suitable Turbo - typically T3/T4 Flange externally gated. (if you gonna go topmount no point in going internal)
Turbo downpipe
External waste gate + dump tube
Longer water, oil supply/return hoses
Suitable hot pipe.
Suitable intake pipe.

and bobs your uncle. You have the option of buying a kit thats a simple bolt on solution. i.e blitz, greddy These can be had brand new or second hand . Or buy the individual components i.e manifold, turbo do a bit of mocking up and fabricate/get the rest fabricated Takes a bit longer and involves a bit more hassel/thinking.

I wouldn't recommend buying cheap components as there only fail in the long run in most cases. If your gonna do it do it right otherwise u might as well stay bottom mount.

I'm considering buying a twin scroll manifold + holset twinscroll turbo and working out/fabricating the rest.

D

dss15

To both: thanks for the thoughts!

I'm chasing a reliable, street driveable 320-350HP, without breaking the bank (or the car). I could have done it with the stocker, but i went crazy pulling things off & selling them one ebay.. what can I say, I bought air tools, makes unbolting things fun.

Top mount does look cool, but my s15 is really 'clean' looking, so doesn't attract much po-lice attention. I'd like to keep it at least sort of that way when they pop the hood.. although harder to hide now with the radiator, pulleys, all that sort of crap. I wish they made it all look stock TBH. Definately going with low mount setup now. I'm going Megan racing for all the exhaust bits, any thoughts on them? I had a google around, people seem happy with the compromise between quality & price.

Marketing does a great deal for some things, but I have to agree, when it comes to turbos its pretty touchy. Pipes... well... $500 stainless or $175 stainless pipe...*snorts*

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
a branded manifold wont guarantee that it wont crack - many of us run cheap manifolds and have no problems, others have had top brand expensive items crack - i've put about 5000 miles on my h-dev manifold with no problems. also have an ebay turbo elbow since i got the car and again no probs...but always use genuine nissan gaskets. if you want 320-350bhp then you can just remap the stocker, but a 2871r will make a higher headline figure at the same boost and because of that should last longer as it wont be getting pushed so hard, also remains very driveable too ;)

Reaction score
The stock turbo runs out of puff at around 320bhp otherwise becomes very unefficient and starts blowing hot air. Upgrade to a gt2871 .63A/R for 350hp or the .83 for 400hp

Megan racing manifolds are top quality aswell as tomei. H-devs manifold also seem good quality.

Carpo: any more info on that top mount kit. Might be interested:thumbs:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
The stock turbo runs out of puff at around 320bhp otherwise becomes very unefficient and starts blowing hot air. Upgrade to a gt2871 .63A/R for 350hp or the .83 for 400hp
the .64 2871r will make 360 all day long without pushing it, should make 380-390 with good torque too @ 1.5-1.6 bar similar to the hks gt-rs. also the 28r's are proving to be a more capable turbo than first thought in recent mapping sessions......

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I've got a xs-power T3 topmount and its been very good, pulls very hard. Its now mapped to 360bhp. It has also been on the car now for over 2 years without any problems. I can make bigger power but I'd need to re-do the back housing, as its too restrictive at the moment.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I looked into top mount kits and was interested in the Mazworx kit from US. They are traders on SXOC and seem good at the marketing side and not seen complaints about the top mount kit but their after sales sevice leaves a lot to be desired after seeing what (forget name sorry!) that chap recently went through on here with all his Mazworx prop shaft troubles!! :wack:

I'm not paying over £2,000 for dodgy after sales service should any items get wrong and just get fobbed off with 'it's worked on thousands of other kits we've sold so yours must be application defect' WTF?? Nah... not for me thanks!!!

And for all the money I'd just go for normal GT2871r upgrade and get all the other bits I need to comfortably make 350 bhp or slightly more and retain the driveability of a smaller AR turbo with decent response and keeps the grin factor when doing fast road and drifting etc :thumbs:

And as always I'm more bothered about the torque figure and map curve cos I know that's what makes me smile... LOTS!!!! :D :D

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
I just got my HKS Top Mount the other day from Guy at Nemesis UK and the quality is amazing compaired to the Mazworx manifolds they are doing a GB on SXOC the welds and build quality just looks so much cleaner have to say all I have to decide on now is what turbo to go for and I think it might be the GT30 range :)