What's new

clicking into gear

Reaction score
Country
Hi!
recently i have a problem pushing into gear during cold start. You push the gear to gear 1 or R position it just cannot go in. same goes for all the other gears.

After much trying, it finally goes in, usually i try to engage 2nd first and use some force to get to first.

i tried pumping clutch as well, no use. But it appears to me after the car warms up, i can engage " more easily".

any one had the same problem?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I would try changing the gearbox fluid first. Maybe bleeding your clutch might help a little too.

Reaction score
Country
thanks guys i will have a go at these. Becasue mechanic is telling me probably gear box damage. I jus feel no need to go to this extreme.

Reaction score
Country
I raised the clutch position higher, so that biteing point is alittle higher.
that seem to solve the problem.

I checked the clutch fluid (which is basically the brake fluid) theres still enough of it. There are no leaks and I also changed my clutch pump just before encountering this problem. So it cannot be these.

only last week i changed the gearbox fluid as well. So hopefully the combination of these actions will solve this problem.

Reaction score
Country
its a bit clunky when cold in mine too, I get most dramas though trying to get into reverse!!!! regardless of temperature. takes 3 attempts usually to get into that damn reverse position!!

Reaction score
My s15 was like that since day one, over fill the box to 2ltrs and when you want reverse put it in first then select reverse ;) give it a whirl......5 years later still works

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
My reverse is a right pain to locate some times.

Just use the double clutching method a couple of times and its ok.

Ive got Shockproof Light Weight in the gear box and its overfilled already.

Made a difference over filling it though, would recommend that.

Reaction score
Country
i thinks it not the tranny fluid thats causing the issue. bleeding the clutch fluid makes sense to me. air bubbles maybe, possibility?
miraculously after warmed up its fine. I can keep trying to put into R or 1st but afte tryig for a while it engages, then i realise its
cos the car has warmed up. now i just leave it to run for a few minutes.

Reaction score
Country
S

S15 SILVIA

I find first and second gears a little notchy when I first start the car, but are fine when it warms up. Never ever have any problems with reverse tho, goes in no problem. Must have a good box?
Just wondering, to 'over fill' the box, you need to remove the shifter? Is that right?
And is 2 litres the amount to put in? Just see that Craig said to put in 2. How much do you over fill the box by, what's the factory amount using the fill plug?
Mike

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've had the lightweight shockproof oil in my box for ages now and it's brilliant. Would like to know why they don't advise it as it seems perfect to me.

As for overfilling the box.. Fill it until it comes out of the fill plug (when the car is level) then refit the fill plug and add another 200-300ml through the shifter hole. This is what I did anyway and it's great (with the lightweight shockproof in diff and heavyweight shockproof in diff).

I had the OEM Nissan stuf in for a short period and it certainly did not feel as nice as the redline.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I spoke to Opie Oils earlier (as im changing all oils in the next few weeks) And the guy i spoke to said NOT to use the shockproof lightweight.
Like Craig Id like to know why this is?

I put in the SP lightweight about 2 weeks after I got my car and its been fine for the last 2.5 years.

Let us know how it goes...

Reaction score
Website
www.omgpham.com
Country
I also run light weight shockproof in my gearbox, and I remember reading it wasn't recommended was because the shockproof oils are designed for cars that are raced/tracked all the time. Redline don't recommend them for daily drivers, BUT our S15s might be the exception because they seem to work wonders in our gearboxes!

Reaction score
Country
I also run light weight shockproof in my gearbox, and I remember reading it wasn't recommended was because the shockproof oils are designed for cars that are raced/tracked all the time. Redline don't recommend them for daily drivers, BUT our S15s might be the exception because they seem to work wonders in our gearboxes!
Yeah that was something along the lines of the reason I was given, not recommended for daily drivers and more race orientated, but if it works, then theres no arguing with that!

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
hmmm... I have been hearing bad things lately about shockproof.

Reaction score
Website
www.omgpham.com
Country
hmmm... I have been hearing bad things lately about shockproof.
Hey mate.

What have you been hearing? I'm using the stuff and would be keen to know what you've heard.

Just been doing some more reading about the topic, and the WRX and Skyline guys use it with good results. Some people even using it for the past 4-5 years! There were concerns that Shockproof damages synchros, but apparently that was just mis-information and Shockproof. And I forget who I talked to (East Coast Customs or Mercury Motor Sports) but the Redline Shockproof is what they recommend to all their customers.

Anyways, we need more discussion on this topic!

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
one of my mates used it in his WRX (non standard gearbox) and it was partially to blame for his gearset breaking. Can't remember the exact reason why the oil was partially to blame, and another mate said that as soon as he put it in he had shifting problems, changed it to a different oil and the gearbox was fine.