What's new

FAQ: gearbox conversions (I have access to all the gearboxes)

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
This was first posted on NS but the interesting people there locked it because I work at ALPHA OMEGA PARTS AND SERVICES and deemed it as advertising. Now that I work here, have access to a heap of cool Nissan things, and can help out, I'm advertising... More likely because the info you can find out here will go against what they're selling. I've been given trader status here but I don't sell anything, I'm here because I've owned an s15 for ~7 years now.

=========================================================

So at work we've got a whole load of Nissan gearboxes lying around from doing our R&D on them. We were trying to organise them all for some pics but as you'll see we're not all that creative with placement and lighting and so forth :eek:

Since I have access to them all at the moment (not for long as customers will be picking them up) I thought I'd put up a thread that can hopefully be stickied to help other members avoid the issues and traps of gearbox conversions. Measurements, thicknesses, shifter setups, all that kind of stuff I can grab the verniers or tape measure out and put them up against any gearbox. Theory, design and development is also not a problem. So fire away with any questions and I'll do the best I can to help :)

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
For those that don't know here is a quick recap of my story: Over the last few years I've had a number of gearbox conversions go through my car and that's partly the reason why I'm working where I am. I've done the nigel/mazworx/powertune/alpha omega conversions, all paid for out of my own pocket on my own personal car, and I've gone from SR20 to Z32 to R33 back to the Z32 gearbox.

*this line has been deleted by me because it's probably the line that got me in trouble* IFFFFF the other conversions I had worked out then I probably wouldn't be working where I am today and I would have saved around about $15,000.

Reaction score
Country
Hi there,

I am driving a SR20 Silvia S15, I am very much into a gearbox conversion now, as my second s14 gearbox is failing. I have read up most forum about the conversion but i still have mixed answer and i cant decide whether to Z32 or Z33. I saw in quite a few forum that u giving opinion on it. I would much want to know how the z32 vs z33 gearbox conversion in term of

1. Noise
2. Vibration
3. gear ratio matching if i currently have 4.1 or 4.11 fd ratio
4. 1pc vs 2pc prop shaft
5. shifter location as i am not keen in cutting shifter bezel in the car
6. usable for daily street driven / occasionally drifting car
7. size of gearbox (especially i do not want the gearbox to be actually lower than the chassis rail bottom, as i have problem later driving in my country, scratching all over below
8. i like the car to be more torque, does the gearbox do that compare to the ratio different from SR gearbox?
9. installation difficulty between the 2.
10. anything else i should take note of?
11. thanks and sorry for all the question