What's new

R32 GTR Booster and MBC Upgrade Problem

Reaction score
I am running a stock S15 SR20DET engine on my car but I have recently embarked on a Brake upgrade. The fronts are from an R34 GTR (brembos) and the rear are currently from an R32 (Twin pot setup). I have them all up and running and same time I swapped the booster and MBC for an R32 GTR unit as I have read that upgrading the booster and MBC is advisable. I have bench bled the MBC/Booster setup and then reconnected the lines and bled the entire braking system from furthest from MBC to closest but when I drive I finf the pedal even though very firm does not stop well, on a second quick pump it holds very good. I also noticed on the R32 Booster setup that there is some sort of vacuum 'tin' connected to it, see the pic below and it is located to the top left of the pic with two hoses going to the booster and the intake manifold. Should I bee swapping this over to my setup as well as I have it home there as well and will this help with better braking or is it that I should just keep bleeding the system? Also has anyone ever bled a brake system with the car idling, is it recommended?

Last edited:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Dont think you need the booster as if you look in the same location on the S15 there is already a boost (large, round and black). I would suggest bleeding the brake again, pressume you are doing them in the correct order (furthest from MC 1st, i.e. rear passenger side, rear drivers side, front passengers side, front drivers side). Leave the car switched off while bleeding.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
are you still using the ABS? If so you may have some air in the valves. There is a proceedure in the service manual when bleeding including disconnecting the battery or removing the connector on the ABS valves before bleeding the brakes. Look at page BR-8 in the manual.

Reaction score
Hmmmm good call meddler. The ABS came in a front half that I bought so maybe it needs bleeding will have a look and see, thanks, will check the FSM and try it today when I get off from work.