What's new

Oil Cooler question

D

Derek

A quick question. I want to get a Oil filter relocation kit. I see that places for example driftworks are selling oil coolers with relocation kit incuded.

Am i better of going down this route or just get a relocation kit on its own? I d'ont really think i need an oil cooler but it would probally do no harm either..

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I'm pretty sure that the Driftworks cooler is exactly the same I used to have except for some extra unneccesary aeroquip fittings.
Good quality cooler and hoses.
I sold mine though as it didn't have a thermostat. Overcooled oil is almost as bad as overheated. And some Skyline fellows with the same kit sees temps at about 70 degrees C when doing track abuse. That is too low, so I sold mine.

Kinda regret it now because fitting an inline thermostat wouldn't be such a big fuss.
If I buy an oil cooler it will have a thermostat with it. If not, I'll buy one and put in the kit :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I'll cut to the chase. If you are planning on doing regular track days or drifting, get the cooler. If not, there is no need at all. :)

The optimum running temperature of engine oil is 80-120?C. This is using a 10W50 fully synth. This means that the oil is designed to run in that range. Running below that means the engine isn't up to temperature. Running over that regularly will shorten the life of the oil, causing it to break down and have worse low temperature performance. If this is the case, then you should consider a cooler.

In a mid to northern European climate, you would need to be going some to get over 120?C. I was just touching 110?C on a 100 mile run averaging 80-100 imperial leptons with an ambient temperature of around 20?C.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely's right. You probobly wont go past 120 degrees C on regular road unless running big horsepower or going very very fast.
But for the occasional track/drift day, it should come in handy.

That's why I feel that the thermostat is important if you get a cooler. Prevents the oil to be overcooled.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I would only have one if i could have a thermostat to control the temp's, otherwise i wouldn :no: