What's new

Silvia had its first tantrum today...

Reaction score
Country
Okay went for a drive to Ironbridge today which is a good 20 miles from me but it played up a few times on the way..

Firstly when i got into the car in the mornin i diss-armed it fine got in..turned ignition on then turned key to start and it went dead...tried turning key back and starting again but nothing worked?

After a min or two I was able to arm the car again and then dissarm and start?

Thought that would be the end but it happend again when I got to my next destination and switched it off...exactly the same thing..

Was fine for a bit then and went to Ironbridge...parked up switched it off and it wouldnt arm..no power nothing would work..opened bonnet and found the neg batt terminal wasnt on anymore?

So would this be the problem as now everything appears fine...but how would the car be able to start now and again and KEEP running for 20 miles...would it be a case of it touching the terminal now and again and it not being a good enough connection to start the car?

ALSO thats not all lol

Semms my 6th gear is a right bitch to get into some times? When i go to get 6th sometimes its like it aint there aint i cant find it..it takes a few trys before getting it? And other times its okay? Also I dont know if its just me being parranoid but I sware I can hear a very tiny whine from 6th? On its way out?

Sorry for the essay people :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hi Jay - sorry to hear about your probs :(

I guess a dodgy negative battery connection would cause those issues you outlined first.

The 6th gear issue I would first try with a gearbox oil topup. If you overfill it might just help make everything more slick and fluid in motion. My box is always sticking in 5th if I'm driving her hard. James has commented how my box in general is way more notchy than his... something I've lived with although it's whinning, whirring, vibrating like hell all the time (sounds like a dog cut box haha) but no signs of it going so if yours is only a very small amount of noise and only notchy in 6th I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

If you're out at the Telford meet tonight I'll deffo be there so can have a look at stuff for you and... be great to see your new 15 in the flesh!!! :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
I was getting scared when it wouldnt start so was really glad to find the neg connection off as it was an easy fix :D

I think it must have been shorting out or something as the ignition would come on but when U went to start it you could here like a buzzing, electrical noise in the centre of the dash under windscreen..must of been something to do with the batt though!

I plan to drain the box and fill using some new oil, probably the one you have used as it sounds decent :)

Sorry I couldnt make telford yesterday dude! If ur near me anytime soon let me know if not ill have to pop down telford asap. :nod:

Reaction score
A car doesn't NEED the battery once it's started. It could definately cause the problems you're on about, but the easiest way to see is just connect it up properly and see if the problem goes away!

A very tiny whine is nothing to worry about IMO, 3rd gear always starts whining on the 5 speed boxes but they still last for years more :nod: I'm sure 6th gear will last ages.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
...but when U went to start it you could here like a buzzing, electrical noise in the centre of the dash under windscreen...
that's usually if a relay is not working properly - could be down to your battery issues but if it happens again and you hear buzzing noises then it could be relay that needs replacing etc.

I'm not an expert on electrics but that would be my only suggetion!

No worries hope we can meet up soon and see your car properly :thumbs: :nod:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
That is a common thing when the battery voltage is low. There isn't enough current to keep the relay coil energised and therefore the relay chatters.

As RyanH has said, once you start your car the alternator should provide all the power your car needs. The battey is there mainly for starting and using accessories when the motor is off, but can also be used as an extra source of power when the alternator is not outputting enough current, ie. headlights on, heater on, rear demister on and the large stereo system pumping. A lot of race cars actually run a total loss electrical system and have no battery at all but if you electrical system is not designed for this (like our cars) you can damage your alternator if your battery is not fitted.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Meddler - was just about to question RyanH's reply about battery not being required when running and only for starting the car lol...

I too thought this a while back but recently, my car was dying when the twin electric fans came on at 90 deg... you could actually see the car cut out when cruising along motorway when the fans kicked in but since the car was in gear it would come back to life straight away. But when I pulled up on the idle, as soon as leccy fans started... DEAD!

I swapped battery and this got rid of the problem (either battery was faulty or didn't store enough charge), with my so for me electric fan setup, it definitely drains about a volt when they kick in and I think my aircon drains that little bit more if both are on at the same time. My HID kit lights also draw a bit so it's a power hungry car from battery POV!!! :wack:

Reaction score
Ah yea, bit of ambiguity there on my part!

I meant the car will idle etc with no battery connected, and while it will physically run, it could definately damage the alternator depending on the current drawn. Electric fans can definately be hungry beasts!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
sometimes if your battery is dead (collapsed cell) it can draw quite a bit of current from the alternator which can also add to the problems.