What's new

What spring rate do people run?

Reaction score
I am finding my car to be stiff, particularly on the rear, The potholes and even road surfaces are making the car feel uncomfortable. I believe that the springs on the car are 8/6. 8 kg on the front and 6kg on the rear. I want stiff springs for drifting and track days but still usable on the road What do you run and how do you find them? Would i better of going for 7/5?

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
I have Tein Flex's and they only have 6k, 5k. It's pretty good for the street but I get a little bit more body roll at the track than I would like but still very good. I guess I could upgrade sway bars though...

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I am running 5/4 but they are more street orientated coilovers (tein superstreets) still not too bad on the track with whiteline ARB's

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
mine are rock soild, think they are 9/8 :wack: I do bounce about a lot on bumpy roads, but I'm used to it now. They seem very good on the track though :nod:

I'm getting some APEX Gen 2 8/6 soon to replace my old Bridgestone coilovers..

T

Toby

Ive been looking into this, as I recently changed my Stunes for Tein Super streets.

If you're a pussy like me, or the local roads are terrible you dont want anytHing over 5/6kg.

I have 5F and 4 R and its very nice.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I have 8/6 and they are too hard for the road. I'd probably have better traction on the road with 6/5 as i'd drive over the bumps rather than bounce over them. Ace on trackdays though.

Reaction score
Country
Running Apex 6F 5R, need to preload the fronts a fair bit though to reduce rubbing between the tyre and wheel arch under hard cornering.

Reaction score
Running 8/6 spring rate, rose-jointed arms, polybushed and locked subframe. I daily drive it as well, I'm hardcore lol :D

Reaction score
Running 8/6 spring rate, rose-jointed arms, polybushed and locked subframe. I daily drive it as well, I'm hardcore lol :D
This is basically my setup. I find that that the poor condition of oxfordshire's country roads that i drive are so bad with pot holes that I can't drive the car to its full potential! The backend jumps around alot and the whole car shakes over bumps and is vry unsettled (This is with trying to avoid the more serious potholes!), This can't be doing the car any good. Can't help but think the condition of the roads are going to get worse :-(. Seriously considering down grading the spring rate.

Do people run 6/5 as apposed to 7/5 for a medium spring rate? What effect would 7/5 over 6/5 have on the charateristics of the cars handling? The backend of my car is stripped out so vry little weight at the back.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm running 6/5 spring rate on Apex Coilovers with Whiteline arbs. Just had a track day this weekend at Llandow. It hardly rolled around the corners and stuck to the track like glue :) I had no scrubbing at all on the edges of the tyres. Very happy with it and still comfy (ish) on the road.

Reaction score
Country
On my last setup is was 8/6 and it was a bit rough for the street (a bit rough on my kidneys HAHA) but perfect on the track. I plan to run the same on my next car (maybe even 9/7) since it's not going to be my daily but my weekend/track car.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Currently running 8kgs front and 6kgs rear on HSD smoothies, nice ride feel and still handles well. 6kgs front and 4kgs rear were too soft