What's new

Tomei stage 1 Ecu, is it safe to run?

C

chauwow

I got my hands one a stage 1(d-1) Tomei Ecu, and was intended to plug and play and see how it goes but after a chat with a few guys, my concern is the ecu will be tuned to different fuel (100 octane fuel in japan) and along with different climate levels it shouldn't be advise to put it in.

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-catalogue/214_ECU_01.html

Heres the model:

D-1
STD
STD
STDorPONCAM
相当品
STD
STD~1.0
STD
STD135L
STD
(S15は444)​

I have a jdm s15 with a disco potato, fuel pump n few other bolt ons.

Do you think it'll be safe? Anyone experienced with a JDM remapped ecu? Any help is much appreciated.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I am not sure how much you will be able to change your tune with this ECU. If you can adjust all of the map parameters then great, but what happens if you can't and it doesn't suit the mods you have. IMHO you would be better getting a Nistune daughterboard or a PowerFC (or any other aftermarket fully tuneable ECU) that way you can make sure your can get your car tuned for your car and the mods it has.

Reaction score
I am running this ECU. Also had it in my previous S15 as well for around a year. I have the usual bolt ons:

Walbro
FMIC
Boost Controller
Exhaust
Intake

I'm running 1 bar as it says on that web page and only put in super unleaded and it's working out perfect. Very quick indeed. I will be going Nistune in the future though as i want a Z32 MAF and up the boost to 1.2.

But for now this works great.

... oops, just saw where you are. What fuel do you have? You might not want to chance it with anything less that 97RON.

C

chauwow

Yeah i have basically the same mods as you, im always running Shell 98octane fuel.

Did you ever have your car on the dyno?
Was it good on cold starts?