What's new

Spark Problem help please..

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Hi Guys,

I think i've got a spark problem.. I have splitfire coilpacks on the S15, and I think one of them is faulty, as its looks like its been patched up in the past (had them all out), the rubber has been ripped at some point and silconed back up.

I've tried changing the plugs to a colder type to see if that would help, but after doing that this evening its making the car splutter even more now, before it would only splutter when hitting peak boost. Now its all the time, but the car will idle fine which is wired, as a dodgy coil pack normaly makes it idle bad??

As some of you lot know I have a wired setup, as I have the S14 SR20DET block but with a S15 APEXI ecu, so I have to run S15 coilpacks (I think), need someone to confirm that. I have some spare S14 coilpacks but they won't fit onto the S15 harness (+ and - are revsered), so wandering can I swap out the harness for the S14 type? I'm thinking not..

Also anyone know if I can buy a single splitfire coilpack? don't want to spend 400quid on a new set if I can help it. If not I suppose I could try some std coilpacks if anyone has some going??

Anyone think it could be anything else? don't think its fuel related..

cheers

Adam

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
maybe the coilpack is breaking down at high loads. The best thing would be to try a set of standard coilpack to make sure that is the problem and then go from there. I am sure someone on here will be able to lend you a set to test.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Cheers Chris, I was just going to see if I can borrow a std set. However the more I think about this the more it points to the leak in the turbo gasket. I bet when it was getting mapped it had a slight leak, which got worse over time, so now its all fixed and not leaking I think the map will be slighty out at peak boost. I will have to take it back down to Steve next week, so he can get it on the rolling road and tweak the map.. (another 500 mile trip!)

I will still try a std set of coil packs though if I can get hold of some..

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I wouldn't think the map being out slightly would cause it to splutter and then get worse as time goes on, but it wouldn't be the first or last time I would have be proven wrong!

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
The colder plugs made it worse yes, so I've put the others back in and its more driveable again. I just get the splutter at the high end of the boost. The gasket change is the only thing that has changed since it got remapped, so I'm hoping it is that..

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Won't believe this but a crack spark plug was causing the misfire. Seems quite simple now, but with the coil packs not looking the best and the turbo gasket going I had a few things it could be, so never thought it could be the new plugs :eek:

Sods law I crack the another one of the new plugs as well when I changed them over (which I didn't know at the time). The culprit was the 3rd plug that is right under the strut brace, and as I'm lazy I never bothered to take the strut off, so it was always a little difficult to tighten up, so with the angle I must of been cracking the plugs once I tighten them. :annoyed:

Thanks to Steve (FC Tunning) :) for finding the fault though, just a pity I had to drive 400miles and pay for dyno time just to replace a £4 plug! Oh well lesson learnt I suppose.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Well at least you got the problem sorted mate :)

I always think it's a pain to take off my strut brace but I know in the long term it saves me more time than trying to go from weird angles lol. I didn't even think you can get a spark plug swapped over with a strut brace in the way lol?! :wack: