What's new

Pulley/Belt Tensioning Guide

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok folks - another guide with pics to add to the library lol :)

Thought I'd explain since I did this recently after adding new selt of belts :nod: Basically the S15 runs three belts as standard. The inner most is the alternator belt which also drives the water pump at the top. Then there's a second belt for aircon and a third belt for the power steering. I've only detailed here how to tension the alt/water and PAS belts since the aircon belt can be tensioned using a separate dedicated tensioning device rather than the other two which has be done using tensioner bolts attached to the pulley units etc.

So first we look at tensioning the alternator/water pump belt which is the inner most belt. Jack up the car and go underneath the alternator:

You will see towards the rear of the alternator (facing towards back of car), there is a 14mm pivot bolt. Loosen this. Then go back up into the engine bay from top and work on loosening the bolt which is attaching the alternator to the slotted bracket (part of the tensioning bolt setup):

Once this is loose, the alternator can be moved sideways to tighten or loosen the belt by using the actual tensioning bolt which is located at the top left side of the alternator if looking into engine bay from the front:

Clockwise pulls the alternator away from middle of the bay so it tightens the pulley against the belt. Anti-clockwise will loosen the unit away from belt :thumbs:

Ok next up is the PAS pulley which also has tensioner bolts. The pivot bolt is kind of behind the pulley itself towards the middle of the engine:

Loosen this with 14mm spanner - or if you're lucky with socket and ratchet if the holes in the PAS pulley line up with the pivot bolt that's behind it :cool: Then loosen the tensioner bracket bolt which is below the PAS pulley:

In the pic above you can actually see the slotted bracket which allows the pulley unit to move hence tightening or loosening the belt! Finally like the alternator there is a tensioning bolt which can be turned clockwise to tighten or anti-clockwise to loosen:

Access to this is more tricky as it's behind and below the hotpipe/dipstick/induction filter area. This one's also 12mm unlike everything else which is 14mm :rolleyes:

Hope this helps and I'm sure I've got everything right but if not please shout and I'll correct this...

Cheers,

J

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
No worries guys - I think with everyones' input (including tons of stuff Nicely has done in the past) we should have a bloody Haines manual sorted which could make this forum almost redundant so maybe better not lmao :p :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I've just found some images from another useful threads page which has decent diagrams doh!! :wack: But I still think my pics help to explain a bit better in a different way lol :)

Check out the diagrams on the right hand side of page about halfway down...

http://www.mys15.org/S15_Tech/underdrivepulley.htm

Tried to copy and paste images direct onto this thread but it don't work :(