What's new

Found Crushed hoses! But whats this canister?

Reaction score
Country
Ok i'm not on my laptop so cant put the pics up, hoever behind the passenger headlight is a canister with two hoses coming out the top, and i think theres one at the bottom.. firstly, whats this canister for?

Secondly, (for people who have read my problem threads about, exhaust firing, spark plugs going, etc) do you reckon that if one of these hoses was 'clamped' between a bracket and my radiator, therefore stopping whatever passes through it, pass through. that this could have contributed towards my problems?

That sounds like an exam question haha.

It was the rubber hose coming from the canister, running under the cold air pipe just behind the radiator, and fixing into the front most slot on the bracket next to the top left of the radiator, as your look at it from the front.

Cheers!

(PS, since my car has had the front end rebuilt, and all these problems started to appear, i can give you a guy i DONT recommend giving your car to! - the guy who 'fixed' mine!)

Reaction score
Rip that carbon canister out and block up all the rubber lines rubber to it, then connect the two hard lines with a piece of boost hose.

Reaction score
Country
Rip that carbon canister out and block up all the rubber lines rubber to it, then connect the two hard lines with a piece of boost hose.
lol ok, so rip out the canister (is the a pipe at the bottom? felt like there was), remove the 2 hoses, then link the two openings with 1 piece of boost hose? (y)

what will this do?
power?
emissions go up?
other?

cheers

Reaction score
Rip the canister out and block off all the rubber boost hoses that lead to the plenum, then you will be left with 2 hard pipes. Connect these 2 hard pipes together.

It won't change anything with the car, but it will reduce chance of a boost leak from the canister.

Reaction score
Country
sound! a project for tomoro! cheers!

what is this supposed to do anyways? i mean it must have a purpose?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've left mine in as the engine bay looks more complete with it in IMO. I wouldn't blame the guy who fixed you car for the problems you've had.. unless the front end falls off overnight!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I had no choice but to remove mine lol... I broke the vacuum pipe attachment on the harness for the carbon canister (this sits on the driver side part of engine bay next to cold pipe) and Ni$$an wanted around £120 for a replacement solenoid harness WTF??!!

Glad I removed mine as it clears up more space and I'm thinking about putting my DIY catch can in the same place ;)

Reaction score
Country
lol i was thinking it'd be a good place for a shiny catch tank haha. i think your engine bay is more ready for one than mine at the moment though :( lol

nissan really are robbers.. pretty much £1k for an aero front bumper.. i'l never forget that one :(

Reaction score
Yep it's a perfect location for a catch can.

Gonna be putting a catch can in soon, but still researching if I should vent it to atmosphere or have it return back to the intake. There's a lot of different views on this subject.

sx-si

Reaction score
I've left mine in as the engine bay looks more complete with it in IMO. I wouldn't blame the guy who fixed you car for the problems you've had.. unless the front end falls off overnight!
yeah but a cusco or small cylinder sized oil catch tank fits in the bracket ;)
if you want a really posh one cusco also do one that sits behind the front arch (in the engine bay) its really trick but like 250 :S

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
£250??!! :wack:

There can't be that much of an 'R&D' charge for a damn catch tank haha... robbers!!!

I'm making a 'custom' one... been working on it for ages but just toying with the idea like Andeep says about whether to feed it back to the intake or vent to atmos. Not sure about how these two differ but all I know is that the one that vents back to intake should be sealed unit as the intake when under boost will generate a vacuum which is supposed to draw the oil vapours from the top of the head etc...