What's new

Gearbox Oil Change Guide

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok - did my box oil change for first time since I had Silvia so thought I'd take a pic to show where everything is as there's been confusion recently about where the drain and fill plugs are lol...

So as you can see the fill and drain are both on the passenger N/S of the gearbox. Can't miss them as they're 24mm sized large bolts. The drain is near bottom and the fill is further up.

To fill, if you have syringe then great but I don't so I used garden hose which is fed through the gearstick area at the top (remove all associated centre console trim and there's easy access). I shoved in just under 2 litres and it never overflowed so I thought I'd leave it at that. All done :)

James

Reaction score
Just a quick tip, undo the filler plug before you drain the oil. If you end up draining the oil and can't get the filler plug open, you'll be in a bit of pickle!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It probably didn't overflow at 2.0 ltrs as you had the passenger side jacked up. It's really easy to remove the gear shifter if you haven't got a length of hose to hand too :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Andeep - good tip there forgot about that one as I made sure I could get the filler off on the diff before I drained lol (but the diff filler is a real PITA to get to!!).

Craig - yes makes sense that... How do you remove the gear shifter as my mate and I got most of the rubber parts off except the very bottom one covering the ball joint which we could only lift and couldn't see any damn bolts etc to remove the shifter?! We tried to fill using the small gap next to ball joint but it was slooowww zzz... so gave up and used hose like above in the end lol :wack: :wack:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
From memory there is a big snap ring (circlip) that holds it all together. I could be wrong though.

Reaction score
Good idea with hose mate. I was gonna get a pump set up going but I might do that and save myself some coin. Nice

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
BTW, have you noticed any difference with the Redline oil compared to the Nissan MTF?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
How do you remove the gear shifter as my mate and I got most of the rubber parts off except the very bottom one covering the ball joint which we could only lift and couldn't see any damn bolts etc to remove the shifter?! We tried to fill using the small gap next to ball joint but it was slooowww zzz... so gave up and used hose like above in the end lol :wack: :wack:
I had the very same issue, could not work out how to remove it, so I just made a small slit in the last rubber boot and used my oil syringe to fill it up.

Did think at the time this could be a bad idea but Ive never had an issue with it and there are loads of other boots over the top of that one :rotfl:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ah ok I'll probs have another look when I fit the short shifter :) But like Darren we ended up slitting the last rubber boot in order to pull it away from the circular collar around the shifter (this was dead tight!!) but there's so many rubber boots on top of each other I can't see this being an issue :wack:

Craig - not really noticed much difference from before. I think it is marginally quieter but operationally gear changes are not notchy and seem just like before :thumbs:

T

Toby

Nice action mate! I think you should arrange for more days off so you can do more write ups like this for us :)

T

tripleJs15

Yep you have to cut the rubber out to get to the circlip in order to remove the shifter.
You can pry the rubber out withoout cutting it to get to the circlip, if you cut it and dont put it back in you'll hear a little road noise inside the car.

Once you get the circlip out the whole assembly comes out.

Reaction score
You can pry the rubber out withoout cutting it to get to the circlip, if you cut it and dont put it back in you'll hear a little road noise inside the car.

Once you get the circlip out the whole assembly comes out.
There's 4 rubber boots in total, one with a metal plate and 4 bolts that goes from the car to the shifter, one that goes from the shifter to actually shifter assembly, and then there's 2 in the shifter. You can remove the first 2 with no problem, but I couldn't pry the 2 inside ones out so I had to resort to cutting them.

T

tripleJs15

Oh I see, hmm, I got the outermost "inner" out, then the inner most I pushed all the way down over the snout, wasn't easy but worked!

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If you have a C's shifter this problem is removed as it is much simpler to do once you have installed the aftermarket shifter.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I seriously need a pump! I found the diff more of a ballache to fill up than the box oil probs cos the hose length is longer and there's an almost horizontal section when it runs along the half shaft :wack:

Although changing diff oil to the less viscous Titan SYN 5 will help cos the Redline Heavy is like treacle lol...

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I am pretty sure you can get it off without cutting the rubber.