What's new

Burnt Spark Plugs! Why?

Reaction score
It's not really a simple job mate. The best thing to do now is to put a magnet onto a thin stick and try and pick up the bits that are on top of the piston.

Reaction score
Country
It's not really a simple job mate. The best thing to do now is to put a magnet onto a thin stick and try and pick up the bits that are on top of the piston.
good thinking!!
but as i said, that little chip could have been pinging around for months, years.. so chances are there could be nothing left of it. hopefully. i'l find a magnet and start fishing tomoro!

T

Toby

I'm suprised the car wasn't running on 3 with a plug that badly damaged tbh!

there has been some serious heat going on in that cylinder to cause the plug tip to break fof like that, the sort of heat that gives HGF, plus if there is metal on the liston it coudl have scored the bore or weaked a piston ring!

Reaction score
Don't panic,Andeep is not quite right there. The tip has burnt off over time,it just hasn't broken off. Its due to heat and the spark generated over a lot of miles. How long have the plugs been in?

I would be checking your tune,look at your timing and even check your voltage generated from the alternator.To high voltage will burn your plugs due to higher arcing between the electrode and tip,thats why you have voltage regulators

Last edited:
Reaction score
Problem is that it could have snapped off rather than burning, thats why you need to check the piston crown for any damage.

Reaction score
It would not have snapped off. It would have burnt off because the tip temperature was going over 900c due to running lean/detonation,timming out,AFRs to lean.Platinum is a soft metal and once you go above the safe operating temps due to lean mixtures plus boost plus higher compression due to turbo charging,it will start to break down. Have a look at the NGK site,it will explain all the problems associated with plug wear.

Reaction score
Ah okay, that makes sense.

Sorry for any confusion!

So piston 1 has run lean and caused too high temps which has melted the plug? So this is probably down to fuel or timing fault. Best thing to probably do is get a compression test to make sure everything is okay and then get the timing checked.

Have you got Walbro in the car? I would recommend putting this in and hardwiring it just for piece of mind. Could also be down to injector fault.

Reaction score
Country
ok sound cheers guys, im gonna get a compression test next wed (earliest op i can), and i'l grab a walbro whilst i'm at it lol

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I don't understand why you would need to hardwire a fuel pump??? I've not ever heard of fuel pumps randomly cutting out!

Reaction score
I don't understand why you would need to hardwire a fuel pump??? I've not ever heard of fuel pumps randomly cutting out!
A lot of the S14 boys have had low voltages at the fuel pump, and hardwiring solved this problem. You probably don't need to hardwire, but its just for piece of mind and a precautionary measure to let the fuel pump (which is very important) have a direct connection to the battery.