What's new

Does Short-Shifter kill your gearbox?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a short shifter for my 6Spd gearbox...but have heard that they aren't good for your gearbox...is that true?
and If i were going to get one, what brand should I go for..

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I had a b&m short shifter on my old car for over 2 years and that caused me no problems whatsoever,made a big difference though I have to say,makes the shift feel a lot more positive worthwhile addition I would say

Reaction score
everytime I rev my engine up to 3000rpm whether it's on 2nd, 3rd, or 4th or 5th....and it starts to rattle when I let my foot off the gas pedal..
anyone know the cause of this?
cheers

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I can't see how they could ever damage the box. Mine rattles too sometimes like you describe.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
everytime I rev my engine up to 3000rpm whether it's on 2nd, 3rd, or 4th or 5th....and it starts to rattle when I let my foot off the gas pedal..
anyone know the cause of this?
cheers
simple you have a **** shifter. if they arnt made great they rattle. mates one used to rattle my one didnt.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
shifter wont damage the box just the guy driving it and how he drives the car
I did that, blow my box shifting into 4th to quickly when I was pushing it hard :(

I have the 5sp APEX short shifter, dosn't rattle anymore (just add tape), and it feels nice. I just need to get used to it more..

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
And mine is a C's. Both of my S15's had this shifter and both rattled.

Reaction score
I've also heard that short shifters can damage the gearbox, I think I read this somewhere over on Driftworks. I don't see how I can can, but I suppose it makes the shift more aggressive as it reduces the throw and therefore the time taken to change gear.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Buy wouldn't that just wear the synchros more? I really cant see it myself..

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If the synchros wear then you'll get crunching on quick shifts as the gears don't get up/down to speed in time. Not a gearbox killer, but would require a rebuild with new cones. The amount of extra wear a short shifter would cause should be negligible. More down to driving style IMO.

Reaction score
If the synchros wear then you'll get crunching on quick shifts as the gears don't get up/down to speed in time. Not a gearbox killer, but would require a rebuild with new cones bad. The amount of extra wear a short shifter would cause should be negligible. More down to driving style IMO.
But won't the crunching cause damage to the gears themselves? Yep I agree, it's all down to the driving style that will kill a number of parts in the car.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If it got to the stage of gears crunching then yes, the gears would become damaged but I wouldn't blame a short shifter for worn synchros. I'd blame mileage and driving style.
I suppose they have the potential to change gear fractionally faster than with the standard shifter but this difference wouldn't be nearly enough to cause excessive wear.

Reaction score
Like mention short shifters won't damage the box anymore unless you overly forcing the gearlever and "crunching the gears" when they arn't syncronised. I say "crunching gears" because your not actually crunching the gears themselves (unless of course your raming it into reverse) but you would be crunching the dog engagement. The most damage to a gear box would be caused by insufficient oil. Obviously the more power you put through the box the more wear will occur.

Reaction score
oh and on the same note, when going down the box i blip the throttle to pick the rev's up slightly so its easier for the gears to syncronise.