What's new

The Engine Rebuild Thread

T

tripleJs15

86.5mm-87mm pistons are mainly regarded for use without sleves dude but if you do 87mm then score the bore your only other option is either sleave it with larger pistons or start again with a fresh lump
mind you a big end blown sr20det can be picked up for peanuts

i personally wouldnt bother buying turbo and injectors simply because if you spend a few months/ years building a engine that can take 500-600bhp or more i doubt you would use such a small turbo (its kind of a waste using a gt2871r on a forged or stroked sr in my eyes)
get yourself a engine build book for some toilet reading and a sr20det to rip appart
then go from there
Lots of truth here, I had a friend that went from a 86 to 86.5 to 87 without sleeves, anything over 87 you should sleeve, for the HP goals you're shooting for you will be just fine without sleeves.

A decent build i.e:
On the GT2871r 56trim 64 a/r, US 1,000
cams (264 or 260), US Tomei 500
cp pistons 86.5 (i used 9:1 CR) US 500
ARP head, main and rod hardware US 200
valve springs (not really required but a good idea, some Brian Crower's will get the job done, US 75
rocker arms stops US 100
MLS headgasket (Coswroth, APEXI, PE, even cometic) US 100 - 150
and a good tune will get you to 400 or slightly over.

I've made 384whp using 93 octane on a dyno dynamics, which is slightly over 400hp on a dyno jet with the above setup.

sx-si

Reaction score
have the Mazworx Z32 kit, comes with the box, machined bell housing, adapters, new bolts, driveshaft etc. I switched from my ORC clutch to an Exedy Twin Plate which I hated but didnt have a choice.

Info: http://www.mazworx.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2759

I actually sold the ORC to a guy of this forum.

i was offered the z32 box or a rb25 box but i choose the getrag jag box as its built for a car that weighs 2 tonne and 400 of torque so 450 tourque and a 1.2tonne car should last a freeking long time

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers fellas for the great advice - in particular Si and TripleJ since you guys have experience in this field! :thumbs:

I think I have a good idea what to do now and 99% certain about GT2871R turbo so looking for non-stroked, slightly uprated internals with mostly new parts for head and usual ARP bolts/MHG etc :)

Moving onto other areas I've yet to learn more about:

1. Is 9:1 compression ratio pretty much same as standard compression for SR? What happens if compression is lowered or made higher??

2. Is there much noticeable difference between going for 260 or 264 cams? Why have I seen cams with different degree for inlet and exhaust - how does this affect the way the engine works?

Cheers

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
its the angle of lift am sure Lu could be wrong there though, Think some of the d1 cars run diff cams on the intake side to the exhaust aswell, unsure as of why but am sure someone on here will know :)?

Now my new main worry is the Nismo 740cc injectors maxing out at 400-500bhp :( has anyone maxed a set of these out before?
Reason I am asking is I think these are the largest side feed injectors even with Sard before you have to get top feed ones (I think?)

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Compression ratios.. As far as I know, the higher the comp ratio the more natural power he engine will give, but means you can run less boost. Lower comp pistons (same effect as thinker HG) means you can run more boost and achieve a higher overall power/torque figure.

T

tripleJs15

AllanOrr:

On the stroker kit question, I would ask whats your HP and Torque goals, what's the purpose of the build/car ? Personally there are better ways to spend that money that doing a stroker, a 450hp s15 is really a monster on the street, I hardly cross 20psi and have lots of fun in the car, I made 600hp at 29psi and thats a little too insane. Insane enough that I was dumb and bought the Brian Crower stroker and its sitting in my garage never installed it!

Lupix-s15:

1. Is 9:1 compression ratio pretty much same as standard compression for SR? What happens if compression is lowered or made higher??

The higher comp lile craig stated will allow you to make make the same amount of power with less PSI, i did this to keep the turbo in it's efficiency range and for a little quicker spool.

Lower comps will let you run higher PSI but why would you want to do that if you can make the power with less effort.

For comparison my setup made ~400 at 18.5psi, it took someone 23psi to make ~400 with the exact same setup (s14sr, less the 6speed) however they went with 8.5:1 CR and a thicker headgasket.

2. Is there much noticeable difference between going for 260 or 264 cams? Why have I seen cams with different degree for inlet and exhaust - how does this affect the way the engine works?

Not really, infact a 264 may as well be a 260, manufactures measure and spec out their cams differently so I wouldn't let that sway you much, the cam lift makes a difference though. Lastly 260 is something that Tomei has out there, all the other for some reason has 264, I use Tomei, tried and true quality in every aspect.

T

tripleJs15

i was offered the z32 box or a rb25 box but i choose the getrag jag box as its built for a car that weighs 2 tonne and 400 of torque so 450 tourque and a 1.2tonne car should last a freeking long time
I'm not familiar with that gearbox, can you elaborate a lot ?????

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
TripleJ - Reason for going down the HKS 2.2 road was me and my mate plan on using the car as a demo, also will porbs be a weekend / track-drift car and I am thinking about entering in some comps if its built in time next year
BHP goals were 450BHP @ The Wheels so around 500+ @ the Fly why a torque figurer close to that. would prefer to know the engine was totaly solid and could always be tuned up to say 500BHP+ @ the wheels for the moments of mandess :)

T

tripleJs15

I see a stroker kit will get you closer HP/Torque figures but 450/500 stroker overkill, however if you plan to later go up then the stroker now if you can afford it is certainly a nice upgrade.

Keep in mind you will need many supporting mods that compliments each other as well to get a properly running and performing engine.

sx-si

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that gearbox, can you elaborate a lot ?????

not much to it really
if i could fing the getrag website link i would show you
basiclly they take / make gearbox's for alot of high performance cars and customise them to fit diffrent engines
si i get a diffrent bellhousing and prop and its just a bolt on jobby