What's new

Upgrade Adjustable Cam Sprockets

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Just thinking are these essential for when you upgrade cams?

I'm going to want to install the Tomei Poncams when I get round to rebuilding a second SR engine and wondered whether the cam sprockets have to be manually adjustable in order to advance/retard the timing??

HKS/GReddy/Jun all seem to do these for the SR20 but believe the GReddy are discountinued...

Cheers

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
I know I am digging up an old post here but I am also having this issue whether I should go for HKS pulleys or replace the VTC unit?

anyone have any opinions on this?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
they aren't an essential at all, you can time them up fine without them ;) might be able to eek a bit more power from the engine with them though but how much i wouldn't know....

C

cougar power motorsport

+1 like Dean said mate. These are to adjust your timing as you may want it. So it's up to what you going to do or not. plus if you are going to use or not use these you have to choose your cams. i know this is the case of HKS items.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
only if you fit one to the inlet side mate - some people just fit the exhaust side sprocket to fine tune the cam timing.......

G

GUEST_JDM

I just went down this path adjustable gears are a load of ****, when you buy a set of cams you will notice they have 256,270 deg and so on, basicaly the hole idea is to retard or advance the cam sharfts with the gears which is not needed if you buy after market cams that dont run standard degrees and buy a set over 244 degs (i think from memory thats standard) cam gears are more for s13's that just want to bumb there power range lower or higher with standard cams. I know the VCT gear makes a deisel of death noise but it gives you so much better low down torque then with out it. I haven't looked into this yet but a mate of mine building his s15 got vct gear from a v8 nissan motor (he found some post on a american forum) the go is, that its ment to never fail or get noisy like the s15 one does could be something to look into if you decide to keep it.