What's new

"HELP" Using coolant !!!!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
only said that (anneal the old) james as i remember something about someone getting the hoses with the wrong banjos/washers ;)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
only said that (anneal the old) james as i remember something about someone getting the hoses with the wrong banjos/washers ;)
Ah ok mate :) yeah I definitely think it's ok re-using the banjo bolts but my copper washers were fooked since I annealed and try to re-use them twice. I'm just being over-cautious now and recommending everyone either buy replacements from Nissan or... measure the ID and buy some off eBay like I did as extra. Also the copper bit that joins one washer to the other (only if you get OEM washers) is bad as if you put on it almost immediately twists where one washer turns upon tightening and the other doesn't. Hence the middle joining bit will pull and distort the other washer and cause a leak :wack:

This exact same issue happened and caused me turbo oil line leak and was a major ballache as I was stranded 5 miles from home the other week with about 1 litre of oil left in the engine grrrrrrrrrr :(

No worries Ross - hope you get it sorted :thumbs:

Last edited:
R

ross.johnson

I used a block test kit today and found that my head gasket has NOT gone. Everything seams fine. I probs should do a rad pressure test. What is 0.9 on the standard rad cap work out to be? If there is a leak i guess that one of the turbo coolent hoses are broken. If there is no pressure leak then what dose this mean? The coolent is going somewhere and apart from a few patches on the floor it must be. I filled to the maximum marck on the reserve tank behind the headlight and i expect in two days it will be on minimum again!!

Ok thanks guys :thumbs:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Just get yourself some braded lines! If it isn't them (which I bet it is) it'll only be a matter of time until it does crack. You'll see the crack in it when you take them off.

Reaction score
You really need to get underneath the car after a drive and see where the coolant is coming from, it's the only way really. also check the plastic drain screw to the passenger side of the radiator. I have seen in some cases the screw being a little slack and causing a slow leak of coolant. May be worth a try.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
You really need to get underneath the car after a drive and see where the coolant is coming from, it's the only way really. also check the plastic drain screw to the passenger side of the radiator. I have seen in some cases the screw being a little slack and causing a slow leak of coolant. May be worth a try.
That's a really good suggestion Trini and one I would have forgotten myself lol :wack: BTW Ross, the drain plug is on the bottom side of the rad so you have to go under the car. There should be a hole in some undertray or plastic section that lets you get a screwdriver to the drain plug ;)

Reaction score
Please don't over tighten it though as they are a bit brittle, don't ask me how I know :D. In some instances the rubber washer in between the drain plug and radiator may need changing.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I can't find my drain plug since I've upgraded to the Japspeed 50mm rad lol :wack: I'm convinced there isn't one so I pull out the bottom rad silicone hose...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH :D

R

ross.johnson

Yo you people are legends :thumbs: Thanks for the replies. Dose anyone live near Plymouth in Devon? I'm A staff member for a Car forum called Jap riders. I am Organising an event next year. Date not Arranged yet. Will keep you updated :thumbs: