What's new

Coilovers, its all a bit new to me.

Reaction score
Basically in a previous thread I mentioned I bought 18” alloys only to find out my suspension wont take them.

So i want to run 18x8.5/18x9.5 8.5J ET20 and 9.5J ET30
With 225 40 but preferable 225 45s tyres cause of irish roads.

Long story short im going to buy coilovers and just want some advice on the right ones to get. Its my every day car and don’t see me ever putting in on a track.

Also do I need to replace the Camber arms and front /Rear toe arms etc.. Also what kind of work is involved??
Are coilovers hard to fit? Is it just a matter of releasing the top 3 studs and the two on the arm. Then out with the old in with the new. Then off to my garage for tyres and have them set the camber etc.

Below is what im currently looking at and hope to buy Monday or Tuesday pending peoples input

Cheers for the help lads, this crack is all new to me.
Ha ya wouldn’t think i was a qualified engineer going by the questions I ask:eek:

Hsd
http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/ca...86&PHPSESSID=3dc064358a3cc80e6fe5d76261949762

Apex Gen2 5/4 Comfy coilover kit

http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/ca...14&PHPSESSID=3dc064358a3cc80e6fe5d76261949762

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
lots of people run apex 'comfy' coilovers as a fairly cheap coilover solution. i dont have them myself but have read lots of feedback on them and they are apparently a nice compromise for the money - but they are much better value when bought on a group buy as at full price i'm sure there are other alternatives for the same price. whether these others are necessarily any better others may be able to say :)

as most coilovers come with front camber adjustment, the main issues you would encounter if you went too low would be on the rear. there is a small amount of adjustment on the rear arms due to having eccentric bolts, but once you get too low you would probably need adjustable toe arms and camber arms as a minimum to bring it all back into spec. if the roads round your way are that bad, it might even be worth considering going for a rubber top mount version coilover and rubber bushed alignment arms as pillowball and rose joints would probably eat themselves in short time - but the use of rubber topmounts would require camber bolts on the front coilovers to sort the camber instead.

fitting them is easy, at the rear there is one bolt that holds the bottom of the shock on and two under the rear shelf on the topmounts, and as you said up front the 2 bolts on the hub carrier and the topmount bolts (plus the brake pipe clip to pull off). then just measure the threaded section of the coilovers between bottom mount and spring platform and make sure they are uniform between the 2 fronts and between the 2 rears to find your desired ride height :) i still dont think 225/45 would be required, first it would look a bit bulky compared to a 255/35 rear tyre, and secondly 225/40 on an 8.5j rim still gives a good ride and isn't 'that' low profile.

best of luck.

edit: and as it says in the ad, using a softer coilover will make the benefits of uprated anti roll bars far more apparent, i fitted godspeed bars with my very tough tein coilovers and they still made a massive improvement :)

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I think Dean's covered everything there but if you're running 8.5's on the front and 9.5's on the rear, I'd put some wider tyres on the rears or you'll have a big stretch and probably damage a wheel on the bad roads.

V

vti_coupw

both coilovers seem to get good reports but i would go for the HSD's they can be gotten here for €890 and would be rapid delivery too id imagine. i think im going to run 225 on my 9.5 aswell man, i need an extra bit of stretch because im not goin flaring my archs im just goin to roll the lip on the inside, as above it depends on how low you go wether you will need adjustable camber arms at the rear, i had to order some because the standard arms wont adjust enough for my new wheels to tuck inder the arch.

Reaction score
Cheers for the replys lads,
I went with the package deal on driftworks the HSD's coilovers and adjustable alignment arm kit.
should have it by friday, hope to get it in next week