What's new

dumb question!

Reaction score
Country
Guys:D,

I'll like to know how much can i boost my car safely. Here's the deal, the mods that i got: Ex. manifold, full exhaust, fmic, 550cc inj and walbro fuel pump. I have the standard ECU and it's running pig rich atm... you guys think i can go to around 13 or 14 psi without a tune? Maybe these bigger injector will compensate for the fueling perhaps? or will all that be a bad idea:rolleyes:??

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Running rich is better than lean, however as you have put 550's in on a standard ecu I'm sure the fuelling latency is the cause. A remap is the best and that will probably mean an ecu as I dont think the stock ecu can be changed (might be wrong tho). I have apexi power fc ecu and commander and 740 injectors along with all the other fueling upgrades. You will notice a remap will make you car nice and crisp and responsive.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
The standard ECU cannont be reprogrammed in situ. It either needs to be chipped or a Nistune daughterboard fitted. The other option is an aftermarket ECU like a PowerFC.

T

Toby

I've been told not to fit my injectors at all, untill its going to be mapped.

With regards to boost you can run - I would personally not raise it at all untill you have a walbro fuel pump, after that with the FMIC about .8/9 Bar is probably the safe upper limit.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yep as mentioned new injectors need to be mapped properly because you have that latency timing which needs to be setup correctly so fuel is injected in perfect time for max optimised burn within the cylinders etc...

I'd seriously recommend a proper remap with either Nistune or aftermarket ECU before you take the car boost beyond 0.8 bar. Yes you've got the cooling mods and rich mixture at the moment to prevent det but it's gonna rob you of power massively without a decent remap plus your fuel economy will be poor :wack:

Reaction score
Country
Got it!:cool:, i have an emanage blue sitting at my room at the moment as people here don't use nistune... i'll have it tune @ 15 psi with it, hopefully i will get a good amount of whp with my mods!:D... do you guys think 300 bhp is achievable with my current mod list? how much whp will you think i can get?:wack:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I can't remember the amount of transmission loss you usually account for with an S15. I've only ever remembered my fly power/torque figures...

300 bhp should be easily achievable with your mods, especially as you have upgraded injectors. But the mapper must understand the latency of these injectors and map accordingly to get the best benefits and most power out of the remap so make sure you ask him and check this before/after the mapping.

Also just as important is the torque figure after the remap. You should be getting 300 ft lbs and most likely more - this is all taking into consideration that:

1. You have an induction air filter to suck in more air.
2. Your turbo and actuator are still strong and holding boost at high revs.
3. Your exhaust is free flowing and decent bore.

Reaction score
Country
I'm gonna make sure my mapper knows that!, also i have an Apexi air filter, i was thinking of buying an HKS actuator for my turbo, will this be a good mod? and my exhaust is a 3" custom made full back exhaust. So i'm good to go?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cool - your custom exhaust sounds like the business so that'll be fine :)

HKS actuator - don't think this is really necessary unless your current stock actuator is getting old and not able to hold boost at high revs. Believe this is happening on mine (possibly) so I'd say do this if you want to make sure everything is as strong as possible when you remap but not essential!

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I'm running 1.2bar and was advised by my garage to fit an uprated actuator which happened to be hks. My whole exhaust system is stainless from manifold, elbow, down pipe, decat and nur spec.

Getting the map right is important, it took 5 attempts for my garage to get my 740's not to overfuel. Might try somewhere else as it seems to get rich after 6k and bog down a little.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Getting the map right is important, it took 5 attempts for my garage to get my 740's not to overfuel. Might try somewhere else as it seems to get rich after 6k and bog down a little.
Have a word with Steve @ FC Tuning and see if you want to get a remap with him mate... a few of us have had our remaps with him and he comes highly recommended :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Believe Steve does most of his mapping work @ Hayes Engineering which is east of central London (Erith??).

But he does travel so it's worth asking him and he also does 'on tour' trips so maps a load of cars by prior arrangement around the country :)

Reaction score
From a very rough calculation, transmission loss is about 15-18%

A mate got about 300whp and that was about 350bhp@ the fly.

I think my 14 was 300bhp@ the fly and about 250whp.