What's new

Water Sensor placement

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
Hey guys

Thought I might to plan out a weeks worth of upgrades for September to fit some of the kit im collecting in the shed atm

Need some advice on locating the water temp sensor. Got a Defi version but im not sure were to install it.

First place that I considered was on the outgoing (top) radiator hose but im wondering if that would be alright since water only flows through there when the thermostat opens hence a stuck one would prevent the gauge working?

I really want this gauge i guess to be as close to the engine block as possible to monitor the water temp as it flows around so if anything suddenly rises I can step off the gas.

I was considering mounting it somehow to the water pump or thermostat housing or somewhere along the block (dunno if the outlet would work or block drain valve), don't mind drilling and tapping anyway so long as I can get it off the engine since its gonna be a long term fitting

Or am i just over-thinking this and should just mount it on the hose pipe with an adapter :wack:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Water still flows through the cooling system with the thermostat shut, it is just a very small amount, so you will still get a reasonably accurate temp indication.

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
well looks like the top hose wins

btw for the adaptor I keep looking but I can't find anything for 1/8 Pt.

now I was thinking it was just a case of getting npt but from further searching it looks like they are two completely different standards

so next questions is will this bsp version work or does anyone else have a suggestion on who's adaptor to use

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Call Dan @ SRB Power mate and tell him James S15 sent you to him lol ;) He sold me the Alifit 32mm ID adaptor kit which comes in 1/8 PT and will fit with the Defi water sensor which I also sourced from SRB as well :)

Installed mine on the top rad hose - just needs cutting and careful consideration on where the adaptor will go in between as cut too much and you're fooked lol so start with 'less' and cut more back as needs be. Here's a pic of mine after it was all sorted:

Also don't forget it's always a good idea to use PTFE tape on the threads of the Defi water sender device before you screw it into place on the adaptor. Keeps it's all locked down without worries of future leaking issues ;)

PS - I know some of you will hate the look of that ****ty Jubilee clip which seems to have decided to stick out like a sore thumb haha but it was a long day I couldn't be arsed to mess about with it anymore and you can't see it from above :p

Last edited: