What's new

Diffs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was told yesterday that an S14 LSD will fit into my standard S15 casing (straight swop for stock S15 item), is this right? My diff seems to be open.

Thanks Sam

Reaction score
apparently so, but mine seems to open wheel quite a bit on sharp drift or donuts. really annoying.. would love a uprated diff and will at some point im sure

Reaction score
Mine just seems completely open - I used to have a 2-way in my Skyline which I loved because it was nice and predictable. I was going to get a 2 way for my S15 but at over £600 I'm still thinking about it! :)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
I have seen 2 way diff-s for 400 quid! have you looked on drift works?

As to sticking a 14 2 way in im not to sure? but i couldt see why the dimensions would be any different.

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't buy a second hand 2 way diff and the new ones from Driftworks are £675! I was thinking of maybe getting a s14 diff welded to see if I like it, then I can keep my open diff in case I don't.....just wondered about whether they will fit.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Well i have a cusco 2 way in mine and when it breaks and it will break lol i doubt id be able to afford another one! but i swear i have seen some for £400 i will have a browse tonight when i get home from work and let you know.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm not sure if I like a viscous setup at all... mechanical diffs like the helical S15 is brill and if you feel it open too much it could be cos it's wearing out??

Mine drifts nicely and it's only higher speed more aggressive drifting that requires carrying of speed and sideways which is making me think about a 2 way Kaaz (plus when I upgrade to RB gearbox I'll need slightly shorter diff ratio) :)

Whatever you do if you get someone to weld a diff make sure they know what they're doing as I've heard the weld can break quite easily - under a lot of stress as you can imagine lol...

Reaction score
James yousure yours isnt a uprated diff mate?? as mine and have heard a few others saying they openwheel alot..

as for wearing helical diffs dont really wear like a viscous plate type plus mine is low mileage and it still openwheels. luck of the draw maybe??

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Mines the stock diff and has done 60k. Doesn't appear to openwheel and the inside wheel sometimes skips on full lock too..

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Gotta agree with Craig although I'm sure recently whilst attempting some drifts the back wheels aren't spinning up like they used to?! On full lock and trying to drifting (without clutch kicking) it seems to do a severe go around a bend manoeuvre rather than get the backend out nicely haha... either the diff is on the way out or the rear tyres are too hot/grippy :wack:

Tom - I'm convinced it's stock cos it never clunks like a 2 way and I've never had problems with 'skipping' when moving in carparks/tight situations. Also the way the car snaps back the other way when I lift off and generally wants to grip like a motherf*cker means I'm convinced it's the stock helical :)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was told yesterday that an S14 LSD will fit into my standard S15 casing (straight swop for stock S15 item), is this right? My diff seems to be open.

Thanks Sam
Assuming you have a Spec R and not the JDM spec S (non turbo version); the helical diff in your car is better than the stock
s14 viscous set up. The helical will never wear if maintained properly (as it's a geared diff, not a clutch pack set up), and it's also better suited for fast road driving. The open feeling you get from the helical is due to the way it operates. If you search Helical differential or Torsen differential on the internet - you'll get the idea. Unless you're a hard core drifter - keep the helical IMO.

Reaction score
Country
Can anyone can confirm the ratios, is the Spec R helical 3.69? & the Spec S open 4.08, is this correct??? i managed to find some random bits of info off the net but still not sure ? Car is a JDM Spec S, so non turbo 5speed.

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm not sure on the exact number but it's deffo 3.x ratio on the S15 diff final drive...

Going to a diff designed for a stock 6-speed box means you're getting a longer ratio'd diff (hence lower number) so I'd presume your acceleration will be slightly slower than before but surely you'll be getting higher top speed capability?