Upgrading pulleys...

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Guys,

Just gonna order some blue anodised pulleys this week and then swap these over along with a new set of belts since one of them is looking frayed and making squeaky noises now and then lol...

Not done this before on any car so need some advice. Firstly, Camskill only list two belts from what I could see on their website - alternator belt and air con belt. But I notice there are 3 belts to take off and swap. So is the third the power steering belt? Need to check what I ask from Camskill when I order these.

Secondly, how difficult is it loosening tensioners and where are they - do I need special tool?

Cheers,

James

PS - I know I have decent access to everything as I don't have shroud nor viscous fan anymore :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Shouldn't be too much of a mission mate,I am pretty sure that you loosen the tensioners from underneath the car,as when my alternator belt was slippin jez whacked it up on the ramps and did it all from underneath,think there is more room to get to everything .as for tools I couldn't tell ya matey,did you get the greddy pulleys then?they are the only one is know do blue,as I have also been looking!

Belts (PS, AC, alt) - Gates K050370 Alt., K040345 PS & most AC (Dayco belts - 5050370 ALT, 5040345 PS)
Looks like power steering is the other belt dude!!!

Last edited:

Jay

Reaction score
i can confirm the 3rd belt (the one nearest the front of the car) is the power steering belt, as i had to change it last month due to it being frayed.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Other than the aesthetic I believe that because they are light weight they spin more freely and free up some power.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm not banking on feeling any difference... anyone who says they can feel 6 - 8 bhp increase (like the write ups say on these products) is telling porkies IMO :)

I'm only doing this as a dress up mod lol.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
the only other reason to change the pulleys is to get an underdrive one for the water pump. This slows down the water pump so that is doesn't cavitate at high revs. Not a big issue on a street car, but good for the track when you are at the rev limit.

Reaction score
Meddler is on the money,you only put them on to reduce the revolutions at high RPM (Underdrive) Your water pump,power steering and alternator will all work more effectively and last longer if you're doing track or drift events.

T

Toby

Those belts are a steal at that price!

Getting involved now! cheers Lu Pix :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm not banking on feeling any difference... anyone who says they can feel 6 - 8 bhp increase (like the write ups say on these products) is telling porkies IMO :)

Is that what they claim?! If so that's got to be one of the biggest pile of ****e I've ever heard. Yeah, there will be a tiny amount less inertia, but think of what a lightened fly would do in comparison to the pulleys. If the pulleys add 6-8bhp then a lightened fly must add 60-80! Dress-up mod ONLY IMO too! ;)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol Craig my thoughts exactly! :)

Cheers fellas about the lower RPM at high revs... as you all probs know I take her out on track plus DWYB and some streeto boucing off limiters hehe... anything helps!!! :D

Reaction score
yum, i like colourfull stuff:cool: let us know which ones you end up getting, i might consider a set of these after doing a few performance enhancing mods. Replacing the belts does take to long. all i can say is a mallet and a plank of wood might be required to get things to move after releasing the bolts as things get ceesed and need a bit of persustion.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Nice1 Al :) Yeah ordered the pulleys from SRB Power yesterday so they're not GReddy or any JDM brand but as long as the quality is there and it's in blue it doesn't matter to me lol :thumbs:

Will update on how I get on etc...