What's new

Fuel Filter

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hiya - got a fuel filter to replace etc. Looks like it's the papery part rather like an oil filter for an Astra I serviced a few months back lol...

I've done a search and there was a thread about replacing fuel filter but then it pointed to Useful Threads section but this isn't opening correctly for me... blank page huh?!

So can anyone advise where the fuel filter is located and is it simply the case of waiting till the car is cold and been stationary for a while. Then taking the top then bottom lines off the body of the filter and then unclip it then replace element??

Cheers,

J :thumbs:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Sounds like you have the fuel filter for the pump rather than the one that lives in the engine bay...

The engine bay one lives on the left hand side of the engine as your looking at the car.

It's the small silver thing near the throttle body but lower down.

When I did mine I pulled out the fuel pump fuse and ran the car till it stalled.

Then remove the clips and pipes and stick on the new one.

When you do this have the new one close the hand because as soon as I took the bottom hose off it pissed fuel everywhere so I just stuck the new one on to stop it.

Have fun, and dont sue me if I forgot something.

Pretty sure the fuelling section in the workshop manual tells you how to do it.

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
When I did mine I drained tipped the old filter upside down (after removing it of course) and the fuel that came out was visibly dirty. That's a 3 year old filter too so they are well worth changing regularly.

The filter that sits on the pump is kind of like a long bag with a hole in the end that the fuel gets sucked through. Is this the one you mean Darren as what James described sounds like one of those oil filters where you just replace the paper element inside, not the whole filter..?

Reaction score
Do as darren surgests however dean i think it was, was telling me to replace it with a 350z z32 fuel filter as it is of a large capacity and cost the same. I'll be changing mine out some time soon as i don't know when it was last done just forgot to order one when i ordered the belts duh!

Reaction score
When I replaced mine I put a golf tee in the lower hose to stop it pissing out. It is a fiddly job getting the lower hose off. Would the Z32 filter still fit in the spring bracket that the stock one sits on the side of the strut tower?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I used a Z32 on mine, there is no real reason to do this though.

You have to force it into the clip an it sits fine.

Craig, yeah I was thinking it sounds like the bag from the bottom of the fuel pump, but there must be some other type of filter I've not seen before as my engine bay fuel filter was not made from paper.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Thanks for all the replies fellas :)

Ok I'll take a pic tonight and post up just so everyone can have a good laff but I'm sure the part I bought doesn't sound right?! :wack:

Incidentally I bought a fuel filter for 200SX 2.0 (as listed on the Halfords sheet) but we all know what Halfords can be like for telling you a part fits when it bloody doesn't.

Should I be able to buy the part from any motor factors and can I ask for same fuel filter part as S14 200SX? Also should it come as the complete silver canister type thing attached to the strut rather than an element type part you replace inside the housing??

Cheers

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
here you go mate, i had a pic already. its the silver cylinder on the inner wing with the black hose coming out of the top of it under the bmc stopper at the bottom half of the pic. slightly to the left :).

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, you get the whole canister with the pipes at each end. Dead easy to fit I got mine from Apex. Probably not the chaepest place but it's a genuine part and fits! :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok nice1 fellas :thumbs:

Will order mine from Apex *rolls eyes* and return the crazy 'fuel filter' I got from Halfraudulent :D

I'll have to take pic and post it up on here just for giggles!!

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I got mine off eBay from some jap autoparts seller, nice and cheap!

Reckon you brought a coffee filter if it's made of paper :p

T

Toby

Got mine from Halfrauds was about £6 IIRC (obviously listed as an s14)

T

Toby

It looked just like what you posted up, apart form it had a plastic coat on it IIRC.