What's new

Rear diff swapping

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
I didn't read through the whole thing but basically you can't put the R33 diff into the S15. Yes, everything will bolt up assuming you have the axles to match the diff(5 bolt) and you get a rear section of the driveshaft to match the housing(ABS or non ABS). The problem is you have to keep the S15 diff housing because of the speed sensor. On the R33, R32, S14, S13, etc the speed sensor for the speedometer is on the transmission. On the Spec R/6-speed the speed sensor is on the diff housing. I ran into this problem when I got my S15, I tried to swap over my 2-way out of my S14 but realized I needed a S15 housing and just swapped my 2-way into the S15 housing. Basically, everything will bolt up fine but the speedometer won't work. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
Oh, and as for swapping the output shafts on the diff, good luck. There are about 30 different configurations. Way easier to just swap the axles, all the S and R chassis hubs are the same except for GTR so they are all interchangeable. S13, S14, S15, R32, R33, are all swappable into the other chassis.

Reaction score
Country
I fitted a S14 housing which also has a speed sensor.

Reaction score
So....ditch the R33 housing and fit the S15 housing (including new diff internals) with R33 half shafts ....do they match at the hubs perfectly?

Reaction score
The R33 housing was a little shorter without the speed sensor... the internals went to be swapped but discovered the different diameter output shafts/flanges. Couldn't swap those too as the bolt pattern on the S15 shafts was different.

Reaction score
What I did was that I got my hands on an R33 Series II automatic diff. The ratio on the diff 4.368 and it also carries the ABS sensor on the front of the diff just like the S15 standard setup. Plan was to install and RB26 but I have installed an S15 SR instead and want to see how it will work. I have also swapped GTR axles and used 300Z rear hubs and brakeshoe setup and R33 handbrake cables. Car has not been driven as yet but they is no problem so far. Will let you know how it goes. Here is a pic of the diff I used,

Reaction score
To my knowledge no it will not work, you will need to use R33 half shafts and I think an R33 diff with the sensor to the front of the housing like the one I have above. Also the shafts will not fit into the rear hubs as the spline is on the R33 shafts and the silvia hubs are totally different. Can someone correct me if I am wrong. I did the entire swap, R33 shafts, half shafts, diff with sensor, R33 two pot calipers and rotors and 300ZX rear hubs. Of course the brakeshoe setup will need to be swapped. Failing the entire swap you will need custom axles to keep the entire setup the same with added axle strength.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I don't believe u need to swap the whole lot mate, I had a nismo skyline diff in my car ,the spline is definately different not 100%,but I had mine swapped back to a helical diff and am pretty sure I still have the same brake set up as before was just the diff and shafts that were swapped out still a casing from the 15,.can't be certain on full details as I didn't do it myself just what I was told by them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may have had the halfshafts that allowed for a skyline diff, if he is going to run R33 shafts then the entire setup will have to change.

sx-si

Reaction score
why wont the abs sencor work if a diffrent diff is installed?

i put a nismo diff in mine and it reads fine?
also putting a diffrent crown wheel inside soon so will see what diffrence it makes

Last edited:

SR2O

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just found this thread. I've aquired an R33 GTR diff and the associated 6 bolt half shafts, axles and hubs. Now originally I had thought this could bolt in without a problem but have since found the ABS sensor is different between the R33 GTR (uses 2 sensors for each half shaft) and S15 (one sensor on the front of the diff).

Can someone please confirm the below options:

1) Can the R33 GTR diff internals and half shafts be transfered over to the S15 housing so the standard ABS sensor can be used?
2) If I get an R33 GTST Series II ABS (4.11) can the R33 GTR half shafts be transfered in?

Appreciate everyones help!