What's new

clicking sound from engine bay (clutch??)

L

lj~R

I got clicking sound (like "kan")when release the throttle. Seems from engine bay but... And I've went to see few mechanics to check the all enigne mounts & diff mounts,gearbox mounts,drain& refill diff. All of them are good, now I'm guessing it may be the clutch. Because when the car is cold, and shift in the 1st gear and I release clutch there is a sound (like from clutch) and shift to reverse gear as well. The sound is quite similiar to normal driving and release the throttle fast. Oh~ I when I released the throttle (my left foot is on clutch pedal) I can feel there is clicking. And I feel unconfortable because it's like a whole car is pulled.
Anyone knows what is the problem :confused:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Sorry mate cant help you much, but i would say if you can feel the cliking through the clutch that would be my 1st guess.

What mileage has the can done?

L

lj~R

Topper said:
Sorry mate cant help you much, but i would say if you can feel the cliking through the clutch that would be my 1st guess.

What mileage has the can done?
only 56000km...
just wondering could that causing the sound when I release throttle as well...

V

Vandal

lj~R said:
I got clicking sound (like "kan")when release the throttle. Seems from engine bay but... And I've went to see few mechanics to check the all enigne mounts & diff mounts,gearbox mounts,drain& refill diff. All of them are good, now I'm guessing it may be the clutch. Because when the car is cold, and shift in the 1st gear and I release clutch there is a sound (like from clutch) and shift to reverse gear as well. The sound is quite similiar to normal driving and release the throttle fast. Oh~ I when I released the throttle (my left foot is on clutch pedal) I can feel there is clicking. And I feel unconfortable because it's like a whole car is pulled.
Anyone knows what is the problem :confused:
My clutch 'creaked' quite loudly for a little when released slowly, but there wasn't any real change to the clutch feel. Didn't have to do anything as it just stopped creaking after a week or so. Any other signs that your clutch may be on the way out?

L

lj~R

Nicely said:
Floor it in 6th. You'll soon find out. :nod:
got installed a engine damper today~it does reduce the pulled amd improve on shifting gears ,when I release the throotle fast, but still got some sound.
Do I still need to think about the engine mount? Can we distinguish the engine mount has damaged by looking or we have to actually take it donw from engine.Because I've seen the mechanic only look at the engine mounts. Forgot to mentation, the steering wheel got vibration when I driving at high rev in 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and 5th(around 4~5000rpm). I have done the wheel balancing & alignment.Therefore,I think the engine mount damaged can causong vibration. (before installed the engine damper has it). Am I right?Anyone got opinion please :)
Thanks

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It sounds as though it could be a mount. Especially with some engine resonance at the same level of revs.

S

S15R

li~R i'd suggest you to get engine mounts
i dont like engine damper that much, i used to have and hate the vibration and personally i think giving the struct tower more stress is a bad thing

L

lj~R

yeah~I will replace it soon. What do you guys thinks the nismo one would that be good ? or got other suggestions
Just wondering what is the price range for the engine mounts?

S

S15R

nismo engine mounts arent expensive
get mission mount done aswell

i cant think of any other brands

uras might sell them but gonna be solid :D

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Do uprated mounts increase vibration/nosie etc through the body, like fitting solid sub-frame bushes??

Do you have to lift the engine to fit??

D

dns15

Topper said:
Do uprated mounts increase vibration/nosie etc through the body, like fitting solid sub-frame bushes??

Do you have to lift the engine to fit??
yes but less than engine damper or not noticeable
and yes
s15r:
i personally find liking to the engine damper i installed recently
i found minimal increase in NVH as i did not harden the damper at all( i was expecting it to give me some serious jerks before i install)
plus the strut tower is reinforced by the strut brace
also i think the shocks coming from the road will be harder than the vibration from the engine
the most important thing is i love how the the shifting problem is fixed now i can shift so fast without worring itll bitch from the gears

S

S15R

Topper:
yes.

dns15
ok if you have a front strut bar then it should be "ok" but engine doesnt move side ways only, engine moves up and down all the time due to road conditions and with the engine damper it is pulling the tower(stress)
harden or soften the damper doesnt make much difference, if you know the structure of the engine damper its not damping anything, basically its a solid tube and it never moves(tested myself)

by looking at few s15 making 240+rwkw how engine twists on dyno you dont want a engine damper :D

id rather go for the proper way = engine mounts
shifting problem = mission mount($100 AUD) and its nismo :D

we know how the shifter moves up and down over bumps mission mount will fix it

D

dns15

icic
thx for the info
but however i have no complaint about the damper cos its to me the quickest n possibly cheapest solution to the bitchy shift problems( still need to lift the engine up to do an engine mount swap)
i will however look for a engine mount upgrade in the future when my stock one wear out and when i am able to do 240rwkw :wack: :wack:

S

S15R

shifting problem only happens when you shift too fast and the engine is twisting so the angle you shift is different thats why you mis the gear
normally it happens shifting from 2rd to 3rd

mission mount is easy to install, i've done it with my mate, as i say mission mount will fix the shifting problem