What's new

Turbo Actutator Welded?

L

luckyali

Hi guys the manifold gasket blew so i deiceded to take the mani and the turbo out when i took it out i checked that the actuator was welded for some reason, i wanna know why isit welded??

added pics jus to give an idea were its welded :)

D

darkphoenix

OOOOh dear, that doesn't look good. The only reason i can understand why anyone would want to do that is if they haven't got a clue what they're doing and thought by welding the actuator up it would allow the turbos boost to increase and increase which it will but will cause MAJOR problems for your engine

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
Sometimes people will weld the actuator shut so that they can use an external wastegate, I don't know why you would do it with a stock turbo though.

Reaction score
Yep, the previous owner did a small spot weld(simplest method) to the gate to fit an external actuator. Its to stop it opening and losing boost pressure. That way its easily knocked off when you want to go back to internal.

Why do it to a stock turbo; probably to stop waste gate creep and hold higher boost in the top end more easily. Plus, he might have liked the external gate noise as well :D

Last edited:
J

james s15

I think that the actuator will still operate as to the best of my knowledge it is the inertube that rotates to open the wastegate. I may be wrong but i believe it it just ti insure it does not come loose. try moving the link arm or removing the clip and disconnecting the arm and turn the plate.

just my 2cents but i could be wrong

Reaction score
Country
I think that the actuator will still operate as to the best of my knowledge it is the inertube that rotates to open the wastegate. I may be wrong but i believe it it just ti insure it does not come loose. try moving the link arm or removing the clip and disconnecting the arm and turn the plate.

just my 2cents but i could be wrong
Id like to bring this up again as i was looking at my turbo today and noticed this weld.
Thinking i had just found another kiwi bogan trick, i tried to find out about it, in the process i answered my own question

I can confirm that on the S15's T28 this weld is meant to be there, James S15 has got it right as the weld is holding the tube in place, using a small mirror you can see that the tube and the bracket that rotates are not hard fixed there is a gap between them, to test this i got a large flat screw driver and forced the waste gate open, It turns so this weld is not preventing the actuator from opening. Dont grind it off

Last edited: