What's new

Rear brake pad / caliper mod suggestions

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Guys,

I would like to ask what rear pads people have on their car. I am looking for something that I can use to lock the rear wheels. I don't do drifting as such, but I do motokhanas and my current pads just don't cut it.

I also don't trust the pads to do the job when parking the car. It just doesn't inspire confidence when I park my car on a hill. If fact, I now have a noce dent in my front bar from the handbrake letting the car roll forward the other day :(

I am open to other alternatives to making the rear caliper handbrake setup better. If anyone has modded their calipers in a way that has made them work better, let me know. I have seen someone say there were longer lever arms for where the handbrake cable goes on to the caliper, but I can't find them. Do they work?

I am sure someone will say why not just fit the R33 brake setup, but that is not possible at this time.

Reaction score
Country
How about spacing out the caliper and using a bigger disc?
S12 rear discs are 290mm, and I reckon would fit on if redrilled to 5 stud.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
My stock rear pads were shocking... never used to lock the car when I went drifting.

Since I've fitted Ferodo DS2500's on the rear it's been a transformation. Still doesn't lock aggressively but at speed you can lock ok and handbraking on hill no problem. You can also tighten the handbrake cable if you want more clamp when parked up etc :thumbs:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the replies guys. I have already adjusted the handbrake and that didn't make alot of difference. It just must be crap pads then. I will have to look into a set of 2500's.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
mmm... looks interesting Wing ^^^

Yeah I'm sure my rear pads were pretty worn down when I swapped them for DS2500's. I do remember taking a pic about comparing the ticknesses from OEM to 2500's... it's twice the thickness even against a new set of OEM pads hence you'll need to get out the caliper rewind tool haha!! :D

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Thanks wing. I though I had seen these before. Do they actually work / make any difference?