What's new

Standard Spec-R Diff

Reaction score
Hi,

Any one had trouble with doing a tight donut in the dry, mine spins one wheel up like a open diff and doesnt spin u round like u expect.

very annoying!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
worn diffs apparently can go open, and can be tightened back up a bit by using fine shims in the diff itself.....

Reaction score
tell us more mate if you can, my car is very low mileage though which makes it suprising that it would be worn unless the diff didnt have the right oil or quantity in it.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i actually havent any direct experience myself, mate, but there have been a few threads like this i've seen describing the same thing, and the more experienced members seemed to be of this opinion. its not uncommon at all for an s15 to have had an aftermarket diff in japan, only to be fitted with a standard unit on or after import - so it could be a higher mileage diff than the rest of the mechanicals.....just one explanation.

this is a good bit of reading mate, think it might have been where i read about it:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=460306&highlight=shimming+diff

Reaction score
Will a s14 diff fit a 15? Sometimes it makes me wonder if it has one of them viscous types maybe, it does leave two black lines in a straight line though which says ut must be locking some

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
they are directly interchangeable mate so you could have one......

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I'm no expert but my car came to the UK with a Nismo drift diff of some sort.

When I was trying to work out what I had people told me to jack the rear of the car off the floor.

Then by hand turn one of the rear wheels, and depending on what the other wheel does will tell you what you have...

Might be worth a try?

Can you tell by looking at them do you know? looking from underneath, like some s15 specific markings or something?
The diff sits inside the pumpkin so you will not be able to tell for sure until you open it up.

Reaction score
tried that when changing my exhaust mate, doesnt spin the other side atall.

i think only the clutch type like a 2 way turn the other wheel as my EK9 never turned the other side and they have a helical type like the S15. helical are great but when you lose complete grip they do act like a open. i was so impressed with the diff in the ek9 but they dont have a great deal of torque i suppose, maybe im expecting to much from stock diff!

hows the map going Darren anyway, you happy with it?

Dean i think that info might only apply to the viscous clutch type lsd but i will further read i maybe wrong, thanks for the info anyway...

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
That's me out of ideas then hehe.

Yeah still loving the car since the map mate, like a different car.

Quite a decent result you got from changing your exhaust I noticed too.