What's new

BOV fitting

T

Toby

Next on the list, I currently have what I belive id the pigeon mod, and whilst the sound is great, I understand to hit the 1.2-3 bar stage 2a requires, it will not suffice.

Has anyone seen a decent "how to" for fitting a BOV? do you normally get a hard pipe as part of a kit for this?

I have a pipe that comes off the FMIC cold side pointind downwards, whats this for?

Cheers all!

Reaction score
Yeah thats for your BOV, should be about 30mm dia. I didn't get a hard pipe with mine when I got it so I can't say yes or no on that one mate.

Hope this pick helps you out.
[/IMG]

T

Toby

Thanks Buddy, yes thats just like mine.

Is it better/worse having it the turbo side, sure I've seen alot of people with them there?

Reaction score
Don't know to be honest. I think it depends on the brand. All the big name Jap stuff seems to be on the hot side. I would like to know myself. Can anyone help us out with that one?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
It's deffo worse having the BOV on the hotpipe (turbo) side!! So you're ok with FMIC systems that allow connection on the cold pipe side. I'm using the stock exit point on the cold pipe to run to HKS SSQV which dumps to atmosphere :)

Tends to be brands like Blitz that come with a kit which has a replacement hotpipe with BOV welded onto it etc. But I'd stay well clear as it deffo made my car idle funny (lots of hunting issues). Get yourself an SSQV S15 kit which will come with all the piping necessary to connect as vent to atmos. If you don't like the sound then you can buy some 29/30mm piping and recirc the SSQV back to intake as the kit will come with adaptor required for this :thumbs:

T

Toby

The Blitz kit does seem to have a lot of mixed views... so whats the gain in having it on the hot pipe? I suppose there is more pressure there?

Do you know anyone who does a kit for the 15's?

Reaction score
You want it on the cold pipe as close to the throttle as possible. Reason for this is that when boosting and shifting the throttle plate closes and that rush of air is blocked from going in the intake manifold and needs to find a place to go quickly, if it is on the hot side it will need to travel back through the intercooler before being vented. Having it on the coldside as the throttle plate closes it will vent immediately. I also suggest that you recirculate the BOV to the intake pipe as you will burn more gas unless the system has a tuned ROM due to the fact that the system will now be venting air to atmosphere and causing unburnt fuel and having the exhaust to pop durinjg shifting, some like it and others don't. It will also cause a fluctuating idle when coming up to traffic lights and in some cases the car may stall as well depending on the BOV. I have never had the issue with an HKS SSQV though and it has been vented to atmosphere as well.

T

Toby

Trini GT that makes alot on sence now. So i Should use the pipe that point downward comming from my FMIC to the T/B.

when you say recerculate it to the intake pipe, is this just a small 3/5mm hose going back over to the Induction kit pipe then?

Also where do I get the 3rd pipe connection to thw BOV from? or isn't there one?

Finally is there a specific size inlet/oulet I need to get for the S15, or is it a universal fit?

Sorry for all the amature questions, I'm to use to Vtec's and simple track cars :D

Reaction score
there is a stock recirculating fitting that comes on the SR20DET that bolts to the valvcover and has a rubber hose connecting it to the intake pipe in between the MAF and the turbo. The other side also has a rubber hose that connects to the BOV vent side. Your BOV will have to have the recirculating fitting attached to allow the recirculation obviously. And yes you will use the bent piece of pipe that goes underneath the coldside pipe. Get a hose and attach it to the hard pipe and then the bottom of the BOV. The only other connection to the BOV is the vacuum line that comes from underneath the throttle setup. That hardline runs below the throttle and to the middle of the intake manifold itself. There should be one that is set specifically for the SR20DET, a quick search brought up this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HKS-...5fbQQitemZ390099863035QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Toby I did say above on earlier reply that you should look into HKS SSQV S15 kit and the ID pipe for recircing SSQV back to the intake is 29 - 30mm lol :wack: :p

Last edited:
T

Toby

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Good research there mate :) And no worries about missing my post... done that plenty of times before was only messing lol :D

If you really are on a tighter budget then both links look ok for the SSQV units but as you've said yourself you won't get the flange adaptor which inputs into the BOV from the FMIC feed. The link for the adaptor looks fine but I notice the 'O' ring is not included and not sure how important this is?! I just got the whole kit from around £200+ and it all fits together nice. You also get the adaptor to recirc it back to intake if you but the complete kit however it is a lot of money so understand where you're coming from!!

Hopefully someone else can confirm whether are the links you've posted are fine etc :thumbs:

ID = Internal Diameter... means instead of measuring outside of pipe it's the diametre of the hole itself EXCLUDING the walls of the silicone tube. I need to get my new Snap-Off calipers out to measure the recirc ID as I need to order a Samco pipe at some point to do this job. When I used crude tape measure it was around 29 to 30mm. I think Samco only do 28 or 30 anyways so you can throw out 29 haha :wack:

T

Toby

Yes, maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and get a complete kit, as I'll need to buy the adapter and Hose at very least, and chances are the O ring is important too!

Thanks once again buddy I think I'm going to owe you a fair few drinks by the end of this month!!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol no worries mate... we've all been here and it's good to see you working on the car :thumbs:

Took me two years of S15 ownership before I started mucking in myself and learning how to do this that and the other :D S15OC and good mates have been an enormous help over the past 18 months!!!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
S15OC and good mates have been an enormous help over the past 18 months!!!
That's what the forum is here for. :) It's also good to see you take the time give back to the community. Thank you.

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with all that. I would of been stuffed on a few ocassions with out the S15OC. Big cheers to all.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
That's what the forum is here for. :) It's also good to see you take the time give back to the community. Thank you.
No worries Meddler... I think I enjoy taking pics and doing the write-ups as much as fixing the damn car. Mates are always laughing when we're halfway through a job and have to say STOP!! Getting camera for some pics hehe :D :thumbs:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
You want in toby? :p

T

Toby

:nod:

Silly Question time again

- The small vaccume hose ont he top of the D/V's - where does this go to?