What's new

sr20 det oil overfill question

Y

Yara

would having the oil level approx 1cm above the H line on the dipstick be a major problme in an sr20det, or is that not too bad. Just dont want to have any oil starvation due to frothing occur.

I heard if its too full like 1 litre over or so then it can be a major issue but not sure how low the crankcase sits above the sump in an sr20det.
Reason its so full is cos I put 3.5 litres in as per manual, but there must have been some left over, thus causing a slight overfill in the sump.

Thanks for any advice...Cheers

Reaction score
Country
rule of thumb in most cars is that you dont have it past the high mark as you risk putting too much pressure on the gaskets, and ending up with a oil leak

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
just loosen the oil filter off and drain that out. put it back, start the car, check the level and repeat if necessary until the level is right. shouldnt take too long ;)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
^^^^ good idea - that's better than trying to take the sump plug off and losing it??!! SH*T DROPPED THE BUGGER NOW MY NEW OIL IS PISSING EVERYWHERE!!!! :wack:

haha and before anyone says I haven't done this... yet!!! :p

Reaction score
Never overfill the engine, this can lead to a number of things that could destroy the engine.

Drain out some of the oil and check the level.

These engines are a bugger to check the oil level on as the level appears to be spot on, then you immediately check it a second time and it changes. This is due to the stupid angle in which the dipstick enters the sump.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
^^^^ good idea - that's better than trying to take the sump plug off and losing it??!! SH*T DROPPED THE BUGGER NOW MY NEW OIL IS PISSING EVERYWHERE!!!! :wack:

haha and before anyone says I haven't done this... yet!!! :p
Haha, I lost my sump plug once when draining the oil. Looked literally everywhere for it, including through the old oil twice, to finally find it stuck to the side of the sump! Damn magnetic plugs!!

Y

Yara

Cool, thanks for the replies. I am aware it's bad to overfill majorly like 1 litre, just wondered if it's ok to be a little over like 1cm above H line. Just that it's hard to drain it for me at the moment. And need to use the car. I filled exactly 3.5litres. But there must have been around 400mls still left in the engine, causing the oil to be overilled. So how sensetive are these engines to be slightly overfilled. Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Country
I find when doing an oil change that 3 litres is enough to put it on the high mark or fractionally over. I guess a fair bit is retained even after draining for 15 minutes.

I wouldnt reccomend loosening the oil filter if you have a relocation kit like mine unless you want a messy engine bay :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Slightly off topic, Craig, you have to be careful with the magnetic drain plug. They have a habbit of losing the magnet.

Reaction score
Country
Slightly off topic, Craig, you have to be careful with the magnetic drain plug. They have a habbit of losing the magnet.
And the threaded section has a habit of snapping off if you even slightly overtighten them as they arent a whole cast item like the OEM plug.

Y

Yara

I drained it yesterday, now its spot on the H mark on the dipstick.
Ended up draining 800ml. Hope thats not too damaging to the engine, as I drove it for a bit while it was overfilled.