What's new

LSD Question

R

RyanNK

Im a bit of a tard when it comes to the technical aspects of my 200, which I might add doesnt change how much I love it :D so I thought I would ask for your opinion. When I loose traction the car shutters \ jumps and it seems like only one wheel is spinning (obviously I cant really tell being the driver). I did notice the shutter before I added rims but now that I have 18s with brand new rubber its almost unbearable it feels like the entire chassis is getting thrown around whenever I loose traction and the shudder is quite loud in the cabin. My first and only guess is that my LSD has gone to car heaven, what do you guys\girls think? Is this a common symptom for a fooked LSD? Or possibly the grip on the new rubber? Ive done <1000kms since adding the 18s...fire away with opinions!!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You'll notice every single imperfection on the road with 18s. However, I've never managed to achieve what you're describing. If fact, it is a very rare occurence to actually lose traction. The way the LSD works is that when one wheel loses grip, the other won't (unless it too has lost grip). This is why its very difficult to drift with the helical diff. However, this is all meant to be in a controlled and predictable manner. If this isn't the case, it sounds like something isn't right...

What tyres are you running? As in size and brand.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Is the rear wheels like bouncing when wheelspinning?
I get that sometimes when the wheels spin slowly, it goes away if I give it more throttle, making the wheels spin faster.
Not sure if I'm on the right problem here though.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Just had my diff oil changed and i still get one wheel lighting up, normally the inside wheel :nod:

When my car was on the ramps, you turned one wheel and the other didnt spin for about half a turn, so something is loose or slack in my diff :nod:

R

RyanNK

Yakozan said:
Is the rear wheels like bouncing when wheelspinning?
I get that sometimes when the wheels spin slowly, it goes away if I give it more throttle, making the wheels spin faster.
Not sure if I'm on the right problem here though.
This worked slightly last night. Its nice and wet in Sydney at the moment, I stopped dumped the clutch and wheels started spinning and the car was jumpy, kept it going for a bit and it started to smooth out, whacked it into second and the rear end went out quite nicely and the missus went nuts so I had to stop. But yeah seems to even out with more throttle..weird.

H

Hank S15

Fit a 2way LSD.... only "problem" then instead of shuddering you`ll go sideways

Reaction score
my two cents

It sounds like it's simply your sub-frame complaining. Once you get wider / grippier tyres (if you're running standard suspension), the force being channeled through your sub-frame will cause it to baulk on it mounts. You can alleviate this by either running less grippy tyres (to reduce driveline force ie convert to smoke), stiffer suspension, a sub frame lock kit (Uras Pineapples) or simply more power through the jandal. In short, it looks like you're suffering from axle tramp. Gassing it on bumpy roads from a standstill will really amplify this effect - it can't be good for the driveline I'd imagine - grip / no grip/ grip / no grip - ouch.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I fitted solid rear sub-frame mounts, i get a slight nocking when coming on and off the throttle, including increased road noise :nod:

A

Autech_NZ

I used to get bad axel tramp in my old s14, and that was caused by the rear shocks being dead. once they were replaced it was smooth wheelspins again.