What's new

Few questions

Reaction score
Country
Hello,

I've only just purchased an S15 and had a few questions.

1. Do all japanese S15s have a rear wind screen wiper? I know that the Australian delivered 200sx did not have a rear wiper, but i thought the jap one did. I ask this because my car is a jap spec but there is no wiper. I'm fairly sure there is a button to change the speed on the front wiper lever on the steering column

2. Which models came with central locking? Mine only uses a key, no remote. Was there a factory model/option that had them? If i wanted to install it should i get an aftermarket system or source a factory setup?

3. Is the stock ECU any good? I am looking for a recipe for 200rwkws, could someone link a thread or post some suggestions?

4. What is a good FMIC? Is cutting the battery tray required? Is this defectable in South Australia?

5. Are HID lights illegal? I thought they were depending on the car/light. What are the specifics regarding the law for SA? Something about auto leveling etc.

Sorry for the new questions

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
just do a key word search on here you will find answers to the questions you have asked as almost everything has been discussed

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Hello,

I've only just purchased an S15 and had a few questions.

1. Do all japanese S15s have a rear wind screen wiper? I know that the Australian delivered 200sx did not have a rear wiper, but i thought the jap one did. I ask this because my car is a jap spec but there is no wiper. I'm fairly sure there is a button to change the speed on the front wiper lever on the steering column
I was under the impression all JDM's came with the rear wiper and all ADM's did not come with the rear wiper. God only knows what came on the NZDM. There is an adjustment of the front intermittent wiper time on the wiper stalk.

lococard said:
2. Which models came with central locking? Mine only uses a key, no remote. Was there a factory model/option that had them? If i wanted to install it should i get an aftermarket system or source a factory setup?
I was under the impression they all had central locking. You can still have central locking with just the key. Does you passenger door lock when you lock the drivers door with the key? If you get an aftermarket alarm, it shouldn't be to hard to add this function.

lococard said:
3. Is the stock ECU any good? I am looking for a recipe for 200rwkws, could someone link a thread or post some suggestions?
Yes they are good. Can you reflash them, no. You either need a daughterboard or Chip added on to the factory ECU (look for nistune) or get an aftermarket ECU like a PowerFC. You will then be able to tune the car for the required output providing you have supporting modifications.

lococard said:
4. What is a good FMIC? Is cutting the battery tray required? Is this defectable in South Australia?
Most FMIC's require cutting of the battery tray. Is this illegal in SA. I would say more than likely (read YES, but you would have to consult your local registration authority to double check). There are a couple of FMIC's that don't require cutting. One is the ARC turnflow and the other is make by GKTech in Melbourne. http://www.gktech.com.au/front.asp?pid=5

lococard said:
5. Are HID lights illegal? I thought they were depending on the car/light. What are the specifics regarding the law for SA? Something about auto leveling etc.
No, but there are requirements for them. You will have to check with your local registration authority. I believe the ADR requires auto levelling and headlight lens washers but this may have changed.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I would say the ballasts would be a giveaway. They will more than likely have Nissan on them. The other thing is to look to see if the wiring to the headlights has been modified. If it has, they will more than likely be aftermarket.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Easiest way to see if the headlights are stock HID is to open the bonnet and look closely on the top of the headlight. There should be some letters moulded onto the plastic saying "D2S" on the black plastic above the low beam if they're stock HID. Not 100% sure on the location, but just look around on top of the headlight and you'll spot it.

Reaction score
Country
Easiest way to see if the headlights are stock HID is to open the bonnet and look closely on the top of the headlight. There should be some letters moulded onto the plastic saying "D2S" on the black plastic above the low beam if they're stock HID. Not 100% sure on the location, but just look around on top of the headlight and you'll spot it.
Yep, they do have D2S above the low beam. It says something like 12V 55W D2S

Should it say on the ballast or globe what type of HID they are? 6000k etc? I have little knowledge with HIDs, sorry about the newb questions

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I think all car manufacturers use 4300K as stock temperature for HIDs. could be 4700K. can't remember which one it was :)
the light will still work whichever temperature you choose. Just make sure you use the same for both lights :)

Reaction score
Country
I think all car manufacturers use 4300K as stock temperature for HIDs. could be 4700K. can't remember which one it was :)
the light will still work whichever temperature you choose. Just make sure you use the same for both lights :)
Okay thanks.

If my lights are factory HID are my hi-beams meant to be HID as well?

S

SX2002

If it doesn't have a rear window wiper I'd say the window has been replaced...I've never seen a Jap model without one. All models came with remote central locking.
Ron.