What's new

S15 + Tiny speed bump = fail

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
Well after 6 months of pretty easy living with the S15 as my daily driver (diving in the rain and the snow) it all went a tad wrong for me today. I'd had a bit of a **** day at work and it just felt like it was building to something more. So off to mother care in Basildon after work to make a return and I meet this little fellow.:eek:

So I slow right down (there is a big kerb to the right if the pic by the way) and take it real slow as I know my car is low (have the scuffs on the front bumper to prove it) and.....

The bloody speed bump ends up going between the wheel and the rear bumper and rips it off!:annoyed:
So phone a mate who brings some tools down and we remove the bumper and squeeze it in the back of the S15. pop round to his and I'm now proud to say I'm one of the JDM Cable Tie Crew!:eek:
(Sorry for the rubbish photos as they are from my iphone will post some pics of my cable tie job tomorrow.)
The bit that pissed me off the most about this was the fact it so f**king small! If it was a prober speed bump I would have had no problem, as I drive over at least 2 proper big speed bumps twice a day which are located down my road!

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Ahh mother ****er!! but i also ****ed my front bumper yesterday on a speed bump so snap sortof !

should be fixable though :D yours looks fixable to :D

Reaction score
Country
go get a jack hammer and remove the speed bump then dump it on the councils entrance door

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
man that sucks. Your car must be ultra low because the speed hump doesn't look that big.

Reaction score
Country
Thats a bummer mate, a body shop should easily be able to fix the rear bumper but not money you need to be spending.

This is one reason why i only wanted the Aero kit, so fed up with the bodykit on my old FTO catching everything!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Ahh, thats not what anyone needs :( Definatly fixable though mate on a slightly plus side

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
cheers for the comments guys its good to know you feel my pain! think I will have to leave a ratchet in the car so I can remove any I find in the future as it was only a plastic/rubber bolt down thing:rolleyes:
Can you put a claim in to get some money toward repairs?
I'm not sure who I would claim off to be honest.

man that sucks. Your car must be ultra low because the speed hump doesn't look that big.
Thats the bit that got me its very small compared to other speed bumps that I've gone over, its also thin and steep which I think was the problem (CSI Hat on here:wack:) as it looks like it got between the wheel and the bumper which is why its been ripped off the mounts in the arches and the 3 screws under the boot lid have kept it on.

Thats a bummer mate, a body shop should easily be able to fix the rear bumper but not money you need to be spending.

This is one reason why i only wanted the Aero kit, so fed up with the bodykit on my old FTO catching everything!
If I had the money for an aero kit I would put one on but its money I just don't have at the moment. I will get one one day as I love thm.

I'm going fix it over the weekend or at least fix it so its in one straight piece again and get some primer on it, and with any luck my mate will have some time to spay it for me. Will take photos if I remember:wack:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Bum :(

FRP+slammed+speed bumps = :cry: Just ask Mint: he was an expert ;) Mind you, FRP will break if you sneeze too hard...

E

empty_inside

That sucks man :( I'm worried now because there's evil little plastic speed bumps like that on my way into work, and I need to drive in one day next week (you can't cycle with a crate of wine :) ). I've already lost a cat on my old car (standard ride height) to them!

I'm no expert on this, but I think if the speedbumps are illegal (there's rules about height, and steepness which is where those will fall down), then you can complain and get some money. People round here have a good record of complaining to the council about unfixed potholes damaging their bikes and getting compensation. However, all bets are off on private land which that carpark probably is. That's the thing at my work - the business park is privately owned and does what it likes. People do occasionally unbolt the things from the ground and throw them in the bushes though :)

E

empty_inside

Having now done my research:

The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1999: (see section 4).
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/uksi_19991025_en.pdf

Note that only applies to "public" roads. Owners of private roads (even where they're open to the public) have a "duty of care" to the users of their roads, you could try getting somewhere with that, but good luck.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Sorry to see that pal, I know how your feeling, that sort of think normally happens to me :(

You will have it back to its best in no time :) chin up pal..

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
well its been a long weekend but this is the result!

Whole bumper will get a respray when I have the cash and my mate has the time but its better that cable ties.:nod: Found a lot of small hairline cracks in the paintwork that need sorting before that but run out of time this weekend.
Still its now all one piece and not three which is cool.
I have tones of photos so may do a bit of a build/guide thread in the days to come if you guys think its a good idea.

One last photo as I like it :thumbs:

Reaction score
ahh now i know why my one is cracked in the same places lol. my front bumper is cable tied, i reckon it looks better