What's new

Turbo Whistle at high revs

M

Malta

Hey Guys,
My S15 has started to make a high pitched whistle at high revs. Its coming from the turbo and I'm getting slightly worried. I have an Apexi power intake and its still boosting 8 on te factory guage.
Any ideas please?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Could be a leak from the manifold to turbo gasket, they can make a varity of noises!

M

Malta

Thanks, I'll be dismantling soon then :( where would I find a gasket from ?

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Yea mine started off as a whistle then a wierd noise i cant explain then blatent blowing tractor noise.

Ebay
Apex performance
RHD Japan
Nissan Dealer

Plenty of places

Between £15-25

Or it could be a boost pipe leake.......................

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
M

Malta

Thanks craig, this forum is fantastic and everyone so helpful.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Craig i was going to metion concepta tunning they are an awesome company!!! i needed gaskets before a drift day i orderens one day before and they sent them special delivery to me!! and with some haribo :D:D:D:D

Malta definatly get high temperature lock nuts, I have special helicoil inserted nuts on mine that i stole from work they are amazing and dont allow themselfs to rattle lose.

Make sure it is your turbo gasket first though. It could be a leak and what sort of whistle noise is it?? since i have a power intake on mine and you hear loads of turbo spool?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah I get a bit of whistling if I start boosting but you can only hear this from around 2k to 3k revs then the exhaust note takes over :wack:

Tooley - I ordered my elbow to downpipe gaskets from Conceptua... dealt with a chap called Chris. Very helpful and quick delivery as you say!! :thumbs:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I got a Haribo too! Hopefully the gasket will last a bit longer than the Haribo did! :)

V

vti_coupw

feckn damn turbo gaskets, i blew my 2nd one at a drift day lat week, same whistle as you described until is just decintegrated, as the lads said above though make sure you use new locking collars