What's new

New Clutch required - recommendations

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Hi Guys,

I've knackered my gear box in the S15. I had the S14 box though, so its out and being changed but the clutch hasn't got much life left in it, so I'm going to replace that as well.

So what's a good clutch to get, I'm running about 320bhp with a remap on the way so will probably be around 340bhp when I'm done. Most my driving will just be every day driving with a few hard runs now and again. I've had the ACT paddle clutch which is to harsh for me, and my daily driving has knackered it think (traffic jams etc...)

Any recommendations please? I've seen apex are doing the exedy organic for £249 but that clutch will be right on my power limit.

Can only really afford around 400quid max.

Cheers

Reaction score
Sorry to deviate from the subject, but what bits did you need to put the S14 gearbox in your S15?

Cheers

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
What turbo are you running? GT28RS or GT2871R? I've got the ACT organic heavy duty and its fine at 1.3bar on a GR28r turbo. Some more info here too.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
What turbo are you running? GT28RS or GT2871R? I've got the ACT organic heavy duty and its fine at 1.3bar on a GR28r turbo. Some more info here too.
What turbo... not sure craig, its a T3 top mount monster and unsure on make, can't find any markings on it. Someone said it might be a copy of a GT500 but that means nothing to me. Its only running 0.8bar so it has plenty more to give.

I have the ACT flywheel so the heavy duty clutch would be good. How much you get yours for if you don't mind me asking?

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Sorry to deviate from the subject, but what bits did you need to put the S14 gearbox in your S15?

Cheers
Sorry andeep I'm not that techical, so I'd only be guessing at what you need. I'm sure someone else will let you know.. (I bought the car with the S14 box and clutch already in it)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I have the ACT flywheel so the heavy duty clutch would be good. How much you get yours for if you don't mind me asking?
I can't remember how much mine was. I got it when Apex did a GB on them last yeat. £270 rings a bell but I'll check my history folder later to confirm. I'm running 1.3 bar peak and the clutch holds the torque with ease. It's very similar to the exedy one but rated slightly higher IIRC. They do an extreme version too which is rated to a higher torque handling but the pedal is apparently quite heavy with that one.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Just checked the cost, it was £299.00 incl vat, plus delivery when the GB was on.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Ok thanks Craig, I'll put the feelers out and see how much I can get one for.. cheers..

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Just a note to say if you clutch kick and do any form of drifting whether it be streeto or DWYB don't get the Exedy organic cos even this won't be able to handle the abuse. Mine lasted 4 months!! :wack:

If you do want to give it some sideways and enjoy a much better power delivery when launching then single plate would be my recommendation but they all tend to be over your budget if you get Exedy or Giken :(

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
ACT do the paddle clutches at decent prices too. I don't know how you can drive with your clutch everyday James! Dedication :)

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I've got a ACT paddle clutch on it now, and my daily driving has killed it. I think heavey duty organic will be best for me.. apex don't have any in stock though..

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
ACT do the paddle clutches at decent prices too. I don't know how you can drive with your clutch everyday James! Dedication :)
lol you should see me when I stall it just trying to pull away on the school run. It's ok if I take it steady cos if you wanna bite quick, you've gotta launch it. Trying to pull away quickly but without wheel spinning = STALL EVERYTIME haha :wack: :D

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Ok can't get the ACT HD for less than £400 in the UK (well only SRB Power have them). If I used USA ebay I can get one shipped over for around £360 but then that isn't including if I get stung for import tax, not sure its worth the hassle to save 40quid..

So I can still get the organic exedy for £250 or the ACT HD for £400. is the extra worth it for the ACT?

A 3rd option, poss... anyone heard of RPS (Max Street Clutch)?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
£400 is a lot :( TBH I'd go for the Exedy if the difference is that much. Not heard of RPS clutches before so can't help with that one..

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I'll have to order something on Monday, so if anyone thinks of anything else let us know.. cheers

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Managed get in contact with the link you gave me on ebay Craig. He can do postage pretty cheap so it comes out at just over £320 and he'll mark it as a gift. So reckon I'll go with that, but still a little worried as you can never be sure with ebay.. 6-10day delivery time as well..

Reaction score
I ordered my Exedy Organic off ebay America. The seller marked it as an warranty replacement, but still got stung with £40 tax :(

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Managed get in contact with the link you gave me on ebay Craig. He can do postage pretty cheap so it comes out at just over £320 and he'll mark it as a gift. So reckon I'll go with that, but still a little worried as you can never be sure with ebay.. 6-10day delivery time as well..
Cool, you should be ok if the seller has good feedback. I've bought loads of stuff from America and not had a problem so far.

Let us know what you think of it when you get it fitted. I'm sure you'll like it :)