What's new

Hitting Rev Limiter / Fuel Cut at 4500rpm

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Wonder if I could pick your brains??

I have bought my first S15 so please be gentle!

Its an SR20DET, has a full exhaust, fmic, electronic boost controller, uprated fuel pump (not sure what injectors yet - not had time to check). Now, when its stationary it revs freely, but when I drive it, it revs lovely then it hits about 4500 and its like I hit the rev limiter....its had a speedo converter fitted (not sure whether it could be this)?? Any ideas gratefully received :)

Thanks very much

Reaction score
Does the limit change in different gears? When i picked my car up it had the same problem but seemed to cut out slightly higher as i went up the gears.

It turned out to be the speedo converter that was fitted. I removed the converter to see if the problem went away and it did :)

Reaction score
Thanks Roots - it didn't do it when I test drove it, and the only thing that changed between test drive and the way home was the converter (as far as I know).

I didn't notice tbh whether it increased with the gears, but I'll defo remove it and see if that helps!

What did you use to convert your speedo in the end or did you not bother?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
I bought the car from Torque GT so called em up and they sent me another converter, i fitted that and it was sorted haha :)

I think it was a speed m8, and it works fine. Be sure that the automatic wire isn't soldered in too i think that confuses the clocks into thinking the car should shift gears which could be causing the limiter to kick in. Well i was told something along those lines at the time anyway haha ;)