What's new

Coil Pack

S

S15Kenpachi

Hi Guys

I have a problem with one of my coil packs and i was just wondering how i go about determining which one of them is going.

Thanks In Advance

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Unplug them individually when one fails. If it makes no difference then that one is the problem. Start with the one near the bulkhead too as this one usually goes first!

S

S15Kenpachi

When you say unplug them do you mean while the engine is running or stop it each time i disconnect and reconnect one?

Also it hasnt completly failed yet just on its way so will it be obvious when i disconnect it or not?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge. I have never really done anything with cars as i have been to affraid to play about with them and**** it up but i figured i would try to start now.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
What do you mean it hasn't completely failed?? Does it sound really lumpy at idle and when you rev it, like an Impreza?

D

djmasterg

HI

Probably S15kenpachi means that the coilpack works from time to time - like mine did. There were days or weeks even when it worked with no fault, but one day it stopped. And to find which one is it - start the engine, and then try to unplug one after another to find out which one it is. Last thing - mine was a second one from front - so it doesnt have to be first one from firewall or bulkhead.

Hope you find it.

Greg.

S

S15Kenpachi

Yeah it does work from time to time like dj said. Its not always lumpy but it is getting more and more commen so i thought i would try and fix it before it completly goes.

I really appreciate the help guys and will let you know how it goes when i get the new coil pack.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
the problem is intermittent & this is a PITA in any diagnostic job. Best thing is when it next happens do your check. If its not happening when you check you won't find out anything. Leave the engine running and one by one unplug a coilpack then plug back in before moving to the next one. If the coilpack works fine then you will notice a change in how smooth the engine runs.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Ahh I see what you mean now. Next time it fails leave the engine running and unplug them one at a time. It will be dead obvious when you get the right one.

T

tripleJs15

I have 3 new ones and one slitchly used one (all bought the same time) if you need a full set.

S

S15Kenpachi

Thanks guys but got a pair off Jez so i am good hopefully. Will let you know how i get on when they are delieverd and cant thank you guys enough for all the help

Reaction score
Country
As mentioned leave the cover off and have an allen key handy to unscrew the plugs so when one fails you can easily diagnose by pulling the plug and hearing if the engine note changes. If no difference then you know that cylinder isnt firing due to a failed coil.

Id also reccomend leaving the OEM plug cover off in future as well until you get some kind of vented one as its usually heat buildup that kills the plugs and if you only need to end up changing one keep the spare in the car as you dont want to be stuck running on 3 cylinders during a long journey if another was to fail though they have a tendency to start going intermittently)

Ill pop down the post office later to get those 2 sent out, tried at lunch time but the queue was mahoosive!

S

S15Kenpachi

Cheers to Jez for the speedy postage and delivery.

I tried to find which coil pack it was and unfortunatly have not been succesful. Whenever i pull one of the leads even when its playing up it still sounds worse. I have tried moving them round and swapping the new ones in to no avail.

Is there anything else it could be? Or am i missing something?

Reaction score
Country
Thats strange, surely if 1 cylinder isnt firing then pulling the one connected to the non firing cylinder cant make any difference to the noise as it shouldnt actually make any difference??. Running on 2 cyclinders the car should sound like its almost about to stall, 3 cyclinders should sound like a scooby when you rev it.

D

deacon

Hey I'm lookin for some One has failed for me just wondering how much you want for each or all three good ones?

T

tripleJs15

PM me ur shipping info I'll give you a quote for the coils, I'll throe in the one old one withthe 3 new ones as well.