What's new

Boost in an S15...

T

Toby

Another N00b post from me I'm afriad, can't find what im looking for although it seems quite strait forward.

I test drove my first S15 today - Scrummy!

It had a B/C as mentioned in the add, but I couldn't see it inside, so assumed not electric and therefore some form of valve. - (The owner was away so his father showed me round and was clueless)

What the std boost on these engines? The Gauge seemed to go to about 1.1bar and then drop to just below a bar after about 1000rpm and then remain steady there.

I know what a car feels like when its detting, and this wasn't but whats your thoughts on this car?

Assuming the boost controller is set to 1.1 bar, what mods should this car have one it.

What can the std turbo and intercooler handle?

Thanks!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Stock boost should be around the 0.7 bar mark so it's deffo had the boost upped. As long as she has FMIC, Walbro 255 fuel pump, decat, air filter and remap it'll all be safe. Without fuel pump she could be leaning out. Without FMIC she could be detting as the mixture is getting too hot etc.

Also the stock gauge (if that's what is being used) is not very accurate so take 1.1 bar as maybe anywhere between 1.0 to 1.2. I'm not sure if stock guages tend to under/over read?!

Stock turbo with the mods mentioned should be 1.2 bar max for safety and there's no way the stock WMIC can cool the air enough once you go past 0.8 bar of boost or thereabouts. FMIC always, always if you wanna go above 1.0 bar for sure IMO.

T

Toby

Thanks for the reply buddy!!

This car had none of the above lol, and yesthe Reading was taken from the STD gauge...

Car was not detting and felt fine under boost though...

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
How do you know it wasnt detting? You can't always feel or hear when a car is detting unless you have det headphones on or a knock meter.

T

Toby

Sorry getting mixed up been out of this blower game for some time now.... I don't

Reaction score
Country
Id be wary of an S15 running 1.1 bar without a remap and supporting mods.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm not sure how to check for detting... all I know is that it'll damage pistons and possibly valves over the long run. Maybe checking the spark plugs might hold clues to whether this problem is occuring?? But then again I'm not sure what the spark plugs will look like etc.

Again I'm sure leaning out issues will make spark plugs go a certain condition.

T

Toby

I Must say, im not feeling all that concerned, the Boost popped up to just above 1.1 bar and then droped down to just belwo a bar for the rest of the rev range, this is all taken from the Std Gauge that could be a little inaccurate anyway?

The Std boost is .7/.8 Bar? so we are only talking a tiny influx for only a 8-900 rpm....

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
It's up to you mate - I guess if you reckon she drives fine then there's it's all good but if it was me, I'd deffo take a mate who knows more about detting/leaning out issues and can check for things which I wouldn't be able to spot :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Stock boost should be around the 0.7 bar mark
If it is running 1.1bar without a remap the fuelling will be way out, I can almost guarantee it. If your lucky it will be too rich, if your unlucky it will be too lean.

T

Toby

Is there anyway to tell? and to then tell if any damage has actually been cuased from it?

Reaction score
Did you check to see if it may have an Apexi Power FC unit in the stock location behind the passenger kick panel? Just a thought.

T

Toby

I've asked the owner to take a picture, although that is mega wishful thinking lol

R

Rasi

Hey guys just wondering what detting is... sorry for interrupting. thanks :)