What's new

Need advise with Nismo Reinforced Cross 6-Speed Transmission

S

saqi

Hi Guys,

I have recently upgraded the power in my car and the gearbox is failing me.

I was looking into upgrading the gearbox and the only simple straightforward option I could see is the Nismo Reinforced Cross 6-Speed Transmission.

I want to know if there are any members here who have installed this gearbox on their S15 and what kind of power is it capable of handling, as i will be running around 450bhp (at the flywheel), currently i am at the 400bhp mark and i feel that the standard box won’t last me much longer.

Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Saqi

Jay

Reaction score
from what i have read on here, the only options are thus... conversion to either a z32 'box or an r33. you could go for a s14 box but it would die regularly at those power levels. from what i understand the nismo item is not really anymore durable that the standard one, and would go bang quite quickly!
im sure some of the more technical amongst the oc members will clarify this.....

sx-si

Reaction score
cough ppg 4 gear kit ;) but its 5 speed and 4800 pounds

im going r33 box untill i break that then ppg 4 gearkit for rb as its the same price but takes more power
im aiming for over 400 of tourqe

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Nismo sell their box as a 'reinforced' item and it is rated to a higher torque than the standard box.

I would certainly class it as an upgrade overall, but if your aiming for 450bhp then it probably wont last 10mins unfortunately :no:

S

saqi

from what i have read on here, the only options are thus... conversion to either a z32 'box or an r33. you could go for a s14 box but it would die regularly at those power levels. from what i understand the nismo item is not really anymore durable that the standard one, and would go bang quite quickly!
im sure some of the more technical amongst the oc members will clarify this.....
I know that conversion options are available, but i dont want to go down that road, as its cost the similar to the Nismo box, and also that means i will have to down grade to 5speed, which i really dont want to.

S

saqi

Nismo sell their box as a 'reinforced' item and it is rated to a higher torque than the standard box.

I would certainly class it as an upgrade overall, but if your aiming for 450bhp then it probably wont last 10mins unfortunately :no:
i have was told the guys selling the Nismo box that these gearboxes can handle upto 600bhp, as some guys are running these in thier race cars without any problem. but there is nothing from NISMO to confirm what power level thier box will handle. i just want to make sure that i am not wasting £3500.00 and want know if there is any one who actually has this box fitted with high power.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
i have was told the guys selling the Nismo box that these gearboxes can handle upto 600bhp, as some guys are running these in thier race cars without any problem. but there is nothing from NISMO to confirm what power level thier box will handle. i just want to make sure that i am not wasting £3500.00 and want know if there is any one who actually has this box fitted with high power.
The HPI box which is supposed to be stronger than the nismo box, but again, is only rated to 360 odd ft-lbs of torque. I can't imagine either of them handling 600bhp though :no:

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
HKS dog box... getting one to your door and installed would cost about the same price as the car itself?

The nismo gearset is a good idea but isn't meant to take much more power than standard, then HPI improved on the nismo gearset further for a bit more power handling but it's only a small margin above nismo. The nismo doesn't address the circlip weakness theory on the shaft and is therefore susceptible to the same fate as a standard 6 speed gearset.

The reports about PAR gearsets are all negative.

PPG is good, in fact they are excellent but they only do gearsets for the 5speed gearbox and they themselves know that the 5 speed gearbox cannot hold big enough gears to handle what we throw at it. They explicitly state that they will not warrant above (i think) 400hp (yes they rate their gearsets higher but still don't warrant) and they also explicitly state they will not warrant for any launching (1st gear). That should tell you something about the (lack of) size of the SR gearbox.

The biggest issue with a gearset is that when it breaks, you're up for a huge repair bill and a long wait for parts to arrive. A conversion to something bigger is the best choice IMHO, and a s15+z32 conversion kit is about to be released too