Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked

Thumbs down Turbo Housing Thread Fooked :(

Ok guys...

Major PITA going down my end at the mo... only had the turbo gaskets all re-done with new braided lines last autumn and not even 8 months down the line, it seems my turbo to elbow gasket, the top two nuts are always coming loose.

So... I've managed to re-tighten one closest to me ok but the one nearer the block far side is spinning on the thread. Took it to local garage thinking they could snap off the nut and I'll put new one on but it seems the stud is spinning which means the turbo housing thread is fooked!! arrgghhh

My question is does anyone have good experience of re-threading?? Can I just get a garage or find a kit to help create a new thread in the housing?? Someone mentioned tap and dye but I have no idea how all this works

Gonna spend tomorrow getting the whole lot off but at least I have a new Japspeed rad to fit so there's a bit of excitement about a new item being upgraded at the same time

Cheers,

J

S14a Track Machine Progress Thread >> Click Here <<

DeanS15 is offline My car is so clean you could eat off it.
    This is DeanS15's Country Flag (England)
    Liked
    a tap and die kit is worth buying if you can see yourself using it often, if not then get a local machine shop to drill it out and re-thread it. basically a die is to cut or chase a thread back on to a bolt or rod and a tap is to re cut a thread into something. it involves drilling the hole to the right size for the tap and then carefully and evenly bit by bit chasing it in. it has blades that will cut its own thread to take the new bolt or stud. because yours is stripped you will have to go a bit bigger or a coarser thread on the new stud and may have to slightly enlarge the hole in the elbow but i doubt that as they are normally a bit oversized anyway.

Liked
    If you're taking it off, you could get it helicoiled so that it is still the same thread as the rest of the holes.

Or maybe try and get a longer stud so that it might grip on some good threads deeper in the hole?

Liked
    yea, helicoil is the way i'd go.

DeanS15 is offline My car is so clean you could eat off it.
    This is DeanS15's Country Flag (England)
    Liked
    i thought you still have to drill the hole out bigger to fit a helicoil? if thats the case i'd still have a go at tapping it first.....

Liked
    if the thread is spinning then your going to have to drill out the old stud.

Sorry to here man thats a bugger!

it will be time consuming since those stuts will be high tensile steel. Let me know if you need any help.

craig8585 is offline I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
    This is craig8585's Country Flag (Great Britain)
    Liked
    Yeah, we use those helicoil/wire thread inserts at work. Normally in alloy though so the thread doesnt get worn and stripped.

If you drill and tap it you'd need to get a larger stud/nut and drill out the elbow slightly. If you get an insert in it, then there would be no drilling and you could use the standard diameter stud and nut. Both opinions will work well though.

Liked
    Thanks for all the advice guys... ok I'm starting today (Wednesday) in the morning so will see how it pans out!! Cheers Tooley for the offer - might need your help if I do get stuck. At least I've got till Tuesday next week to sort this all out lol...

How does the insert work? Basically I've ordered a new stud just in case - feck 10 from Ni$$an the bastids!!! grrrrr!!!

Cheers

Liked
    THANK THEE LOOORD FOR YOUTUBE DAMN DIDDLY DOODLE

I'm sure Ned Flanders was doing this video hahaha!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

Ok I'm pretty clear on two options which I think I have:

1. Use a dye of slightly larger than original housing hole size to re-thread without use of helicoil insert after - just screw in new larger stud straight into housing hole after dye has cut new thread.

2. Exactly as the video above - drill a larger hole (will standard drill be powerful enough on a turbo exhaust to elbow flange (??) and then use dye, screw in helicoil insert and finally screw in new stud of original size?

Final question - where's best to get helicoil and dye set like video above or at the very least, option 1 which means all I need is larger dye and matching sized stud??

Thanks!!

Liked
    Well the good news is that the stud came out ok form the turbo housing. I ordered a replacement stud anyway but totally forgot two of the holes fixing the turbo to elbow were fitted with old bolts I got from somewhere else and not studs etc

So... when it came to putting all back together the bolt tightened in ok but then seemed to be too long as it wouldn't tighten anymore so as I tried to take it off it got tighter and tigher then... SNAP!!!! Man am I pissed... the fookin bolt snapped clean off and I've got 10mm of bolt stuck in the turbo housing!!!! So a mate of mine is gonna try and use a removal tool tomorrow but if this doesn't work then we'll just get a machinist to drill out the sh*tty bolt, re-thread a larger stud size and get this sorted once and for all!!!!!!

Progress pics:

Rad out, fans and shroud out!!

Andy helping me out as always

This was when I realised that two of the turbo to elbow nuts had dropped clean off their studs since who know's when and I'd been drifting and driving around like that?!

Rad, turbo, maniford... OUT!!!

My little Josh having a nosey from underneath... he likes the bling!!

James
    Last edited by LuPix_S15; 28-04-2010 at 19:46.