What's new

Car down on power, Losing boost @5000 RPM

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Car seems down on power latley, its not boosting the same as usual.:(

With my previous experience with SR boost issues i am going to check all of the piping tonight.

Just want everyones afterthoughts incase its not a pipe leak.

I have a blitz duel spec 2 boost controller so it could be the solinoid that is dodgy,

I have a HKS SSqv - that could be losing boost.

Stock actuator on th t28 could be gettin tired.

As i know these turbos run out of puff at high rpm but thats usually after 7000rpm not 5000.

Since the car will hold 0.9/1.0 bar of boost then it will drop down to 0.6 bar ..........

Any other thoughs?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Have a listen around the tubby gasket too. It's a long shot but mine started blowing a few weeks ago and the first I knew about it was a minor boost drop, followed shortly after by a loud 'whoosh'ing noise as the nuts worked even looser.

tooley

Reaction score
Country
Thats a good point, completly forgot that my turbo gasket was blowing abit, ive bought a new one just not got round to fitting it yet. Could be the answer to my problem.

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah I'm sure a blowing gasket will affect boost but just to put it in relation to your symptoms, my turbo -> elbow gasket has been blowing cos one of the flange nuts keeps coming loose after a few days??!! :wack:

Even though I can see and hear it blow on idle, my car still boosted up to 1.2 bar so I just wanted to say it 'might' not necessarily be the cause of your problems but it's worth sorting this out first and seeing how she runs after :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Gaskets after the turbo shouldn't affect boost, they will just make lots of noise! Its just the ones before the turbo that will noticeably affect boost as the gasses will be escaping without passing through the turbine.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Have you got to get your turbo out again soon then James? Mines coming out when I get back as the nuts have come loose on the tubby gasket! Grrr! :)

tooley

Reaction score
Country
Yea craig my turbo hasket has a lil bit missing.

Done it tonight, got a nack for sr20turbo remove/install lol only took me a few hours, forgot to get coolant though so will have to get some tomorrow after work,

lucky its not my turn to drive this week!!

New gaskets :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Craig - gonna do mine tomorrow as booked day off. It seems like a ballache now cos only got the turbo out last autumn so not even been more than 8 months ago :wack: but I'm sure I'll get into the swing of things after the first hour lol :)

Starting new thread about this as I've couple of questions...

Tooley - glad you got yours done and hope the boost issue has been rectified pal!!