Fitting new Japspeed 50mm rad :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
S15OC peeps :wave:

Just need some of the usual friendly advice :)

Gonna be getting Japspeed 50mm rad on order tomorrow so may have some time this Sunday or next week to fit it myself. Is it as simple as:

1. Drain coolant.
2. Take existing hoses off.
3. Remove nuts/bolts/viscous fan/shroud and take out OEM rad.
4. Replace with new 50mm core.
5. Attach new silicone hoses.
6. Refill coolant.

My main concern is how easy is it to get off the viscous fan and shroud? Never really looked.

Also, with the thicker core, how easy is it to get the viscous fan and shroud back on?? Do I really need the shroud or can I be lazy and keep it off??

Cheers,

J :thumbs:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
It really is that easy, not forgetting the over flow pipe at the top.

Getting the fan shroud back in with the rad is a pain but possible.

I found you have to put them back in together and jiggle and move them around until the rad legs fall into the slots.

Sometimes my fan touches the shroud now it's alot closer which makes a tractor noise, but I just give it a pull back towards the front of the car and it stops again.

Also when you fill up there is a small bolt that let's the air out the block on the front right side by the dip stick.

Good luck

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers Darren - most useful!! :)

Craig - no worries but thanks for letting me know. I'm going for the SXOC advertised Japspeed offer which is 50mm rad core for £99 inc. delivery. Blue silicone rad hoses for £35 if purchased at same time. I think prices work out pretty similar to the Apex one above but I've heard a lot of good things about the Japspeed rads etc.

This offer from Japspeed runs to the end of the month. Also, Japspeed say they will deliver next day whereas it seems these Apex GB you have to wait a while... like my ARB's which are on order now!!

Reaction score
yeah with the Japspeed GBs its more of a special offer than a GB. my intercooler kit turned up the next day and that was a supposide GB! not complaining though:D

Reaction score
Was also thinking of going for the Japspeed one, but might just wait for the Apex one. Are there any reviews on the Japspeed radiators?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Also one other thing I've remembered is I had to take the rubber feet off the standard rad and put them onto the new rad or it sat too low in the engine bay.

I've got the Apex one, but I'd guess yours will be the same.

If that makes no sense test fit it without the shroud to see how it sits first.