What's new

Help! What's the difference between s14 and s15 Clutches

T

tripleJs15

Can anyone tell be why the s14 clutch won't work on the s15 gearbox ? I've searched but found no definite answer.

Any help would be great, thanks.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It will work! I have a S14 clutch kit in my S15. The only thing that wont work is a S14 flywheel in the 6-speed box, you'll need a S15 specific one..

The differences between the S14 and S15 clutch is the S14 kits will have springs in the friction plate as they have solid flys. :)

Reaction score
The dual mass fly wheel is the stumbling block on fitting an S14 clutch. You need to fit a single mass S15 fly wheel to fit the clutch. Heads up: the stock S14 fly wheel bolts are too short to fit a single mass to an S15.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The dual mass fly wheel is the stumbling block on fitting an S14 clutch. You need to fit a single mass S15 fly wheel to fit the clutch.
No you don't. I have the standard S15 dual mass fly with a S14 clutch kit in my 6-speed box and it works perfectly. There are no physical differences between the 14 and 15 clutch apart from the 14 ones have springs in the friction plate to absorb harsh loads. S15's don't 'need' this as the dual mass fly does the same job but fitting a S14 clutch to a S15 will not be detrimental at all. :)

6 Speed S15/SR20 gearbox
NEEDS a S15 specific flywheel with S15 flywheel bolts.
Can use S14 or S15 clutch kit as they are the same dimensions.

5 Speed S14/SR20 gearbox
NEEDS a S14 specific flywheel with S14 flywheel bolts.
Can use S14 or S15 clutch kit as they are the same dimensions - but if using a S15 kit there will be no method of absorbing harsh loads, so transmission stress may result.

G

Glen

The same? , Just get a solid flywheel and chuck a meaty clutch on it. Dual mass flywheels are tuned to a specific hp/torque.

T

tripleJs15

You can do a z32 gearbox conversion with the 6speed clutch/flywheel now :D
This is exactly what I'm trying to answer, did you or someone you know already do it ?

Also on a side note for another project are the s15 and s14 gearboxes the same lenght or is one shorter or longger etc ?

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
yeah there's a place in sydney that's doing conversion kits properly (i've had my share of funky gearbox conversions already) and they're called alpha omega parts n services.

s14 and s15 boxes are pretty much the same length... what is it going in?

T

tripleJs15

Its will fit, at least the s14 twin disk clutch kit I tried on my car.

Reaction score
Just to reinforce that S14 and S15 clutches are the same, the Exedy S14 and S15 clutch kits are the same with identical part numbers.